Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rename bluetooth devices

The list of bluetooth devices in my phone reads like an eye test!

Is there a way to rename bluetooth devices something sensible, so you know what you're actually connecting to, without trial and error?

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 6:20 PM

20 replies

Sep 24, 2017 9:48 AM in response to Rudegar

Actually many other OSes and phones let you rename from the “suggested name” output by the device. Android, or Mac OS as two prominent examples.

I have two Ford cars and both stereos show up as just “Sync” and it is always a crapshoot which one I am connecting to. This is a major obvious UI feature iOS has been neglecting for years.

Feb 21, 2018 6:52 AM in response to KiwiCarpenter

KiwiCarpenter wrote:

Apples priority’s are horrible. My 7 plus still working horribly after the 8 came out yet updates are fixing glitches with apps I’ve never heard of.

If you didn't hear about the glitch that resulted in your phone crashing (repeatedly I believe) if a specific character from an Indian language was sent to your phone, then it's because you weren't reading the news. That's what the most recent iOS update fixed.

My iPhone 7+ works beautifully under iOS 11.2.6. Most people's do. If you have a specific problem with your phone, you should start your own thread and request help. Unless your issue is with renaming BT devices (no, you can't), you're in the wrong thread. People who might be able to help you won't see your post.

Oct 19, 2015 6:14 AM in response to JamaicanMeCrazyMon

I very much agree. A good friend of mine has a Galaxay Note 4 and we coincidently have the same headphones. It is awesome being able share music/ watching movies from one smartphone to the two bluetooth headsets. But while he can see clearly what the devices are called as he changed the names of each one immediately to differentiate. I am stuck doing trial and error and "forgetting" devices over and over again in a lengthy and completely unnecessary process... :/ Please Apple. Update the Bluetooth software for the iPhone! You may lose customers over this issue.

Sep 2, 2016 6:02 AM in response to Yildun

I know this is a pretty old post now, but like others who have replied to this, I used to have a Samsung Galaxy running Android and was able to change the name of the bluetooth device connecting to my phone. This was really helpful as I have two Ford cards and both label their bluetooth as "Ford Audio". Often the bluetooth wouldn't automatically connect so I had to select it - that's when the guesswork comes in, which one to select.

Surely it can't be that difficult to allow users to remap the name of the device to a users chosen name. It's the one Android feature I truly miss.

Sep 24, 2016 3:39 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I fully agree, considering Apple is promoting using wireless devices over wired ones, it is very difficult to have a good user experience when you have several devices with same name without the possibility to give them a different one or an alias.

This is already offered in MacOS and other mobile platforms from years ago.

I have requested it through feedback link provided by @Jonathan UK

rename bluetooth devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.