Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel after most recent update

I just updated my computer with the Yosemite 10.10.2 and the iTunes 12.1 updates and now my Safari will not stop the spinning wheel, almost every site I visit has a spinning wheel syndrome except for Apple. I don't know what to do?

I've tried to delete cache, cookies, all previous history, etc. multiple times to no avail. I've logged out and logged in. Shut down. Restarted. Nothing.

I'm not sure what to do except to use firefox or chrome for now until this is resolved even though I prefer Safari.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.

DE

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 7:40 PM

Might be a Safari extension or third party plugin causing the spinning wheel.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

If it's not an extension or third party plug-in issue, a Safe Mode boot deletes some system caches that can help after an OS X update.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari.

About Safe Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2015 7:40 PM in response to DanE_6

Might be a Safari extension or third party plugin causing the spinning wheel.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

If it's not an extension or third party plug-in issue, a Safe Mode boot deletes some system caches that can help after an OS X update.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then try Safari.

About Safe Mode.

Feb 1, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

It does seem to do with the Adobe Flash with the recent update. I've changed my settings to make the pages to ask me when using Flash, which unfortunately is with a lot of video. When I use flash, the page drags, when I don't, it works great!

I've redownloaded flash and installed, haven't tested it out too much, yet, but the first couple pages dragged, so not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Dan

Spinning wheel after most recent update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.