Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod shuffle when plugged into computer with short apple lead shows red for 3/4 seconds then nothing.... any suggestions

My Ipod shuffle when plugged into computer with the short apple USB lead shows red for 3/4 seconds then nothing.... any suggestions

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:47 AM

5 replies

Feb 2, 2015 1:53 PM in response to PaulinB

Hi PaulinB,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

If your iPod shuffle is not turning on or being recognized by your computer, these troubleshooting tips can help:

• Your iPod shuffle may need to be reset. See this article for steps to reset iPod shuffle. Resetting does not affect your music or data files.
  • If a red light is blinking or continuously on, your iPod battery may not be charged. You can find information on charging iPod shuffle here. To find out how to check the battery life, see the article "Checking the charge." To get the most out of your battery, be sure to check out our battery tips and tricks article.
  • If none of these steps worked, you may need to restore your iPod shuffle software. Please be aware that doing so will delete all your files on iPod shuffle.

You can find these steps and more information here:

iPod shuffle troubleshooting and service FAQ - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Feb 4, 2015 3:38 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks Jeremy_v for the reply, but this does not help at all, I have already read through these articles, if I may explain further:

I have been using my G4 IPod now for 18 months. The unit has worked well and I have been very satisfied with it. The battery life has been good - frequently playing for 8 hours or more. This has NOT reduced recently.

When I say "when plugged into computer with the short apple USB lead shows red for 3/4 seconds then nothing"

The LED on the IPod shows steady red, then goes out and the unit will not respond at all. The computer does not recognise that anything is plugged into the USB port (or when using any of the USB Ports - that do work with the printer, other MP3 players, backup drive, etc. ) - there is no visibility in ITunes, no possibility of RESET or RESTORE as the device does not appear to exist.

The unit is not charged, that I understand it would be, even if I was using a simple mains powered USB charger.

If the battery is now dead, I am prepared to accept this and get a new unit, but I cannot find anywhere an article or reference to "Your battery is dead if this happens......."

Thanks you for trying to help.

PaulinB

Feb 8, 2015 5:59 AM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for the suggestion Jeremy_v - However, this link is for technical support or send for service.

Technical support telephone appointment costs 29 euros - to be told either "The battery is dead" or "please send it in for service."

Average service cost I understand from internet is 35 euros or pounds..... Total cost - 64 euros (plus postage)

New IPod - 45 ish Euros......(including Postage)

Therefore, simple arithmetic provides the solution I think !

From other posts it would appear to be a standard function of the battery system, and all batteries eventually fail, no matter how clever they are.

It would be far more helpful to have information on the 'battery/charging problems' help screens'. with advice such as 'continuous red light for XX seconds means.....'

But thanks for taking the time and effort to help. Best regards

PaulinB.

Ipod shuffle when plugged into computer with short apple lead shows red for 3/4 seconds then nothing.... any suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.