Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 camera only shows black after 8.1.3 update

Yesterday I updated my Iphone 5 with the new iOS 8.1.3

Unfortuntely now my camera shows only black. Also I am unable to switch from Picture mode to any other.

Front Camera works once every 10 attemps. Camera system is very unstable (Freezing Picture, slow,..)

Tried reset. Not successful.

Need help urgently please. Want to take pics of my babies :-(

Contacted Apple support 4x and asked for a call back. They wrote back that they cant rech me under my number.. Others can..

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3, Camera App no function after backup

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:37 AM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2015 12:23 PM in response to mrjanek1

Hello mrjanek1,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with you iPhone 5 camera after updating. It looks like you are on the right track, as you have come from the most relevant article for this issue:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203040

You see a closed lens or black screen

If you see a closed lens or black screen when you open the Camera app, try these steps:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping camera swap icon. If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

If your issue persists, please follow the last step to take the device to an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider for inspection and additional diagnosis.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Feb 5, 2015 6:28 PM in response to mrjanek1

Hi Apple,

After updating my Iphone 5s to 8.1.3, below are the list of bugs or errors that I have encountered:

1.) My FRONT CAMERA is not working. It gets hang or stocked.

2.) TOUCH ID is not working saying a display message error that "Failed: Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again later.

This errors did not happened to my phone before. I already have restarted the phone several times but no avail.

Please help us in resolving this issue and this caused a lot of disappointment on my part.

Thank you.

Mar 4, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Matt_M.

I'm having the same issue ... have been walking around for days thinking that my camera going bad and my iOs update were just coincidental; but am thrilled to know I'M NOT ALONE. My front camera is not working at all and my rear-facing camera only occasionally kicks in but freezes in a blurred screen. I love my 5s and need my camera, and that "relevant article" isn't really relevant :-). Is there a better possible fix?

Thanks!

Mo

Mar 10, 2015 1:59 AM in response to mrjanek1

Exactly the same issue here. Wondered what had happened to my camera then I remembered I updated. after searching various threads on here I can find no fix. People suggesting a restore it doesn't restore the firmware, which I didn't know. Is this a new feature?

I have only logged in to add that after an additional update (8.2 now) I was hoping this bug might have been addressed, unfortunately this is not so.

Is it worth doing a restore even though I've already updated to 8.2 now?

Having a camera is a massive part of having a smartphone- I'm surprised this has seemed to go right under the apple radar...

Mar 10, 2015 11:28 PM in response to Smyrkl

YAH! IPHONE *****!!! my camera problem remains and i was waiting for new update to release hoping it will fix my camera problems...now that APPLE release this 8.2, geez! still the same even WORSEN it! my camera is just BLACK! and when i use camera 360, it will not turn to rear camera.....and freezes too! APPLE...........UR LOSING US!!! camera is very important in every smartphones why u have to ignore this kind of issue???!!!

Iphone 5 camera only shows black after 8.1.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.