Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Classic with Itunes 12.1 - Warning

First off,

Known issues - immediately after 12 dropped, pretty much all functionality involving Ipod classics was broken. Mac OS recieved a patch that fixed this, Windows has not, and there has been no addressing this issue thus far.

My stuff: Ipod class 120gb 8 years old, windows 7 64bit gaming rig, windows 7 64bit laptop. Gaming rig has been updated to 12.1, laptop was kept in version 11.

The problems: Most common - Ipod will disconnect seconds after being plugged in, leaving no chance to do any diagnosing whatsoever.

Less common - Ipod will show up and be interactable in Itunes, click Sync and get stuck in a never ending loop, stuck on song 1 of X forever, I left it doing that overnight - a good 16 hours - just in case, click restore and get an error 1439 (or similar number, basically same error) Ipod cannot be restored

Least common - upon clicking "restore Ipod" the computer will blue screen, complete system crash resulting in a system recovery or total loss of data

The fix(for me anyway) - use itunes 11 - Thankfully I had an old laptop that still had version 11.something installed on it, I was able to transfer my non-itunes store music to it and everything is just peachy

I reiterate - These are known issues, I have found dozens of forum posts on various websites complaining about just how fantastically broken the itunes 12 update has been, and many people have resorted to downgrading back to 11, a not-so-broken version. But here's the kicker - Itunes version 11.0.0.163 has NUMEROUS problems that result in either failed installation or instant crashes whenever you try to launch it, or if you're lucky just crashes whenever you try and access the Itunes store through it. Good luck trying to find someone to help you with installing these old versions if you run into one of these problems.

If you have an Ipod classic and a windows 7 computer DO NOT update to Itunes 12, it will not work, and most support operators will run you through hours of diagnostics just to prove that your ipods hard drive isn't crapping out from age.

iPod classic (120 GB), Windows 7

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 7:47 AM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2015 2:25 AM in response to Bka131

Thank you Bka131! I have exactly the same problem (your most common: appears, then disappearing). I already spent DAYS to try, remove iTunes, drivers, re-intall, uninstall any competitor SW that is able to sync music...

Today, I tried with the latest iTunes just issued (12.1.0.71) and still the same issue: my iPod classic appears for 1 sec in iTunes, then disapear... 😠

This is incredible. Do you know if some people ARE able to sync their iPod Classic with iTunes 12.x? Or do Apple wants to kick out all the "old" iPod Classic and force us to buy new iPxx? I can not believe they could not fix such big bug more quickly ...I did not find any official announcement from Apple that this is a known but unsolved bug ... Very strange as this seems to touch many users…

Do you have a safe place where I can download iTunes 11.xxx?

Mario

iPod Classic 80 Gb wich worked very well since years with my Windows 7 computer...

See also my post iPod Classic 80Gb appearing in OS X and Windows but no more on iTunes 12.0.1.26.

Mar 7, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Bka131

As of the new update my issues have been fixed and my ipod will (finally) sync up with the new itunes. Though I still warn everyone and anyone that will listen, if you have an ipod classic and your itunes works with it, DO NOT UPDATE, these desyncing issues have been a known issue for apple for almost a DECADE, and they have not/will not be fixing them any time soon.

Mar 10, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Bka131

Hi.

How you doing?

I do not speak english very well but i gonna try.

I already have almost the same problem. I have an Ipod Classic 120Gb and iTunes 12.1.1.4.

Itunes recognized my ipod, but, when i sync it just accept 2Gb from music and after a lot of time I finally get the famous 1439 error.

In the Mac format, this accept all of the capacity.

I was using MacDrive 9 in my PC and the iPod works, it accept more than 2gb of music, but sometimes the sync fails and I have to restore it.

How can i solve this issue??

I won't want downgrade the iTunes cause i have an Ipod 4 and works perfectly. But........................

Ipod Classic with Itunes 12.1 - Warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.