Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.3 Bluetooth Connection

Two weeks ago I purchased a new Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ that has Bluetooth connectivity. I also upgraded my iPhone from a 5 to the new iPhone 6. The Chevrolet dealer gave me a quick orientation of the vehicle's Information System including the MyLink which has WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. My iPhone 6 was operating on iOS 8.1.2 at that time. The phone connected by Bluetooth to the MyLink system effortlessly. Every time I entered the vehicle a message was displayed on the vehicle's Information screen that the iPhone was Bluetooth connected.

On January 29, 2015 my iPhone displayed a message advising of the 8.1.3 upgrade. I was hesitant to perform the update because of problems with previous updates but went ahead with it anyway. Yesterday when I got into my car I noticed that my iPhone was not connecting with the MyLink. I deleted the iPhone from the listed devices in my vehicle (my iPad had also been linked) and attempted to connect again. Nothing doing. The iPhone displayed the message "Unable to Connect." I tried to reconnect numerous times but received the same message. I turned the iPhone off, deleted the device from the vehicle, moved the phone out of range of the vehicle's Bluetooth, turned the vehicle on to see that the iPhone had been deleted and then attempted to pair the phone and reconnect. The same message appeared, "Unable to connect." Not knowing if the problem was with the vehicle or the phone I then connected my iPad and MacBook Air to the vehicle by Bluetooth without any problems. The iPad is running on iOS 8.1.2. I was now confident that the problem was with the iOS 8.1.3 update.

One of my employees had also purchased an iPhone 6 two weeks ago so I checked with him and his phone was operating on iOS 8.1.2. We took his phone to my car and it immediately connected by Bluetooth to the MyLink. I was even more confident that the problem was with the 8.1.3 update. I then called Apple Support to report the problem, explaining all of what I described above. The tech instructed me to navigate to Settings, General, Reset and then select Reset Network Settings on my iPhone. This did not correct the problem. I then tried the "Reset All Settings" and this did not correct the problem. He then suggested that I restore the iPhone from my iTunes stating that the 8.1.3 update may have been corrupted during installation. When I got home from work I connected my iPhone to the computer by cable, opened iTunes and then selected "Restore iPhone." The computer displayed a message that iTunes was downloading the information for the device, then the re-installation began. Upon completion of the installation (iOS 8.1.3) I then restored the data using the "Restore Backup." The restoration was from a backup on my computer and not iCloud. I took the phone to my vehicle to see if it would connect by Bluetooth and once again, received the message "Unable to Connect."

I then attempted to connect my phone to my MacAir. The MacAir recognizes the iPhone, but when I try to "pair" the devices I again received the message; "Connection Unsuccessful. Make sure your MacBook Air is turned on and in range." This pretty much confirmed that the Bluetooth connectivity problem is with the iOS 8.1.3 update. There is a slim possibility that a hardware problem with the iPhone may be the culprit, however, with the Bluetooth problem appearing immediately after installing the 8.1.3 update, I doubt it.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 8:44 AM

8 replies

Jan 31, 2015 8:51 AM in response to The SnoWizard

If you have got the old and new phone named the same, it seems some vehicles have trouble with understanding the differences with hardware changes. I suggest going to the vehicle and removing the phone listing there is if exists. Turn the vehicle off and back on again, to reboot the system. Try connecting again. If it does not work, some have reported being able to correct it by giving the new phone a different name and going through the removal of the phones again from the vehicle, and the vehicle from the phone.

On another note, the phone will not pair with the MacAir. The use of Bluetooth with the Mac computer for certain tasks does not require them to pair, just to have Bluetooth on, such as AirDrop, Continuity, etc. I doubt it is a problem with hardware on the phone as you describe, but what happens many times is the vehicle Bluetooth systems are not compatible with the latest Bluetooth updates. Since Apple issues updates on a regular basis, they have the latest in the phones, but the vehicle manufacturers do not update as often, and despite getting beta copies of the iOS software to test, do not do it, thus at times making their vehicles not work with the latest iOS.

Feb 2, 2015 1:39 PM in response to The SnoWizard

Snowizard,

I truly doubt the issue is with the phone. I have a 2013 vw beetle with a kenwood 7701hd radio and with 8.0, 8.01, 8.1, 8.1.2 my 5c did not have any issues connecting to BT and the day after I updated to 8.1.3 it wont connect or connects every 20 seconds for 5 seconds at a time while it goes from connected to disconnected. Reading a lot of BT issues on the internet after updating to 8.1.3. Most have to do with the ipad though yours is the first I found with the iphone. However, since my issue sounds exactly like yours except with a 5c I don't believe the phone is the issue. Will just have to wait for the next version to come out to see if it is again fixed or more hours of research to find out how to go back as that also seems a big issue with 8.x

Ron

iOS 8.1.3 Bluetooth Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.