Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select videos for upload. All files are grayed out.

Ever since Safari 8, I am no longer able to upload videos to places like Amazon (for submitting video reviews.)

When I write a review on Amazon and choose Video Review as the review type, then click on the "Choose file" button, the files listied in the file selection window that opens are all grayed out. None can be selected. This only happens in Safari. I can use Chrome and Firefox with no problems.

Anyone else seen this?

Any ideas how to get this working?

I've reported it as a bug to Apple a month ago and was hoping the recent 10.10.2 Yosemite update would fix it but it didn't.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600MHz

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 9:35 AM

11 replies

Feb 1, 2015 7:47 PM in response to Michael Erb1

Since no-one has replied to this, I'm wondering if someone could at least confirm that this problem exists by following these steps.

Ensure you are testing using Safari 8 and Yosemite

1. Go to an Amazon Product page

2. Click the Write a Customer Review button underneath the last review on the product page

3. Click the Video Review tab

4. Click the choose file button

5. Navigate to a movie file (avi, flv, mov, mpg, wmv)

6. Is the file(s) grayed out?

Thank you for your help.

Feb 1, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Michael Erb1

I see what you mean Michael ..

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Feb 2, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the suggestions.

The result is that I see that MOV and AVI files are selectable. But MP4 files are not... MP4 files are grayed out.

To be honest, I'm not sure if MOV and AVI files were always selectable or not prior to following our suggestions.

The take away is that MP4 files remain grayed out in Safari so my original problem remains. I do not produce MOV or AVI files... I produce MP4 files and that is what I really need Safari to allow me to upload.

Any further ideas? I feel this must be a bug in Safari.

Oct 29, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Michael Erb1

This problem persists in Safari v9.0.1 with OSX 10.11.1

I have been told that Safari will not upload mp4 files as it is not an accepted format for movie uploads. Does this make any sense? MP4 files are grayed out in file selection window when I try to upload them as an Amazon Video Review.

I can upload my mp4 movies to Amazon reviews using Chrome and Firefox... why not Safari?

Can't select videos for upload. All files are grayed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.