Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wi-fi is working but iPad won't connect to internet.

My iPad Air worked fine until today when suddenly (after working just fine for an hour) it suddenly won't connect to the internet My wi-fi still works perfectly for my laptop, and the iPad can connect with either one of its channels, but when I try to connect with a website it tells me "your iPad is not connected to the internet". I tried restarting the iPad but that didn't help.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 10:22 AM

I have literally gone insane trying to fix this problem and as stupid as it sounds it has to do with setting the clock and date accurately (or on automatic) and it works perfectly. Trust me I have gone back and forth on different forums to try and fix this problem and I was at my wits end and tried this stupid direction and my ipad now connects to the apps like magic! Hope this helps.

General > Settings > Date & Time > Set on Automatic

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2015 10:22 AM in response to josephastoria

I have literally gone insane trying to fix this problem and as stupid as it sounds it has to do with setting the clock and date accurately (or on automatic) and it works perfectly. Trust me I have gone back and forth on different forums to try and fix this problem and I was at my wits end and tried this stupid direction and my ipad now connects to the apps like magic! Hope this helps.

General > Settings > Date & Time > Set on Automatic

Jan 31, 2015 5:46 PM in response to josephastoria

I had the same problem with my iPad Air 2. Even though it showed I was connected to the Wi-Fi, I couldn't get internet. I would shut off Wi-Fi and turn it back on again and then I could get the internet. I would do this a few times a day and wasn't enjoying it.

Then I discovered that with my router, I had 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz access and I named them both the same. I read in the forum for the router that this would happen if you named them both the same. I renamed one of the bands differently. Then I had to forget the router access on all my devices and sign in again.

This appears to solve the problem.

Jan 31, 2015 9:59 AM in response to josephastoria

You may not really be connected to your WiFi network.

Your router may not have given your iPad a valid IP address. Go to Settings > Wifi > your network name and touch the "i" to the right to see the network details. If the IP address starts with 169 or is blank then your router didn't provide an IP address and you won't be able to access the Internet.

Sometimes the fix can be as simple as restarting your router (remove power for 30 seconds and restart). Do not reset your router. Next, reset network settings on your iPad (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and then attempt to connect. In other cases it might be necessary to update the router's firmware with the latest from the manufacturer's support web pages.

If you need more help please give more details on your network, i.e., your router make, model and version, the wifi security being used (WEP, WPA, WPA2), etc.

Jul 23, 2016 5:54 AM in response to josephastoria

I Had similar problems, but don't have a vpn app. So this thread didn't help me. Thought it may help someone in my situation if I shared my fix.

wifi was working for all devices except for iPad Air 2. I tried resetting network settings, doing a hard reboot and restarting my router, but still could not connect to my wifi.

it was telling me that the password was incorrect, but it was correct. When I clicked on info button next to wifi it showed no details.

i Clicked the manual tab, and copied settings from iPhone (making sure to choose an unused IP address)

initially this did not work, but I tried to connect again, it asked for password, after entering it, it connected. I clicked info, then dhcp tab, which now showed info. I reconnected using dhcp, it worked perfectly, without prompting me for password.

Jul 23, 2016 12:19 PM in response to nickG187

Hello nickG,

That's very interesting. You used a manual IP to get on the network, then were able to switch to DHCP. Could you please tell me if you WiFi is coming direct from your main router, or if you are using either a WiFi repeater, or a WiFi access point connected to a switch (not wired directly to the router)? Your ingenious solution may resolve some long-standing problems with these configurations.

My wi-fi is working but iPad won't connect to internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.