Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my account has been "disabled" after my credit card expired. I updated it to buy the additional i cloud storage but now it won't let me do anything! help, please!

my credit card expired so my iCloud storage was deactivated. I updated my credit card and now it not only wont let me purchase more storage, but says my account has been deactivated. help, please!

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 7:15 AM

Hi mamamuddpie,

If your Apple ID account has been disabled, follow the steps below to reset your password and gain access. There is a link in the article to the Apple ID Security team if you need help with this.

If your Apple ID has been locked - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204106

You might see one of these alerts:

• “This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons”
  • "You can't sign in because your account was disabled for security reasons"
  • "This Apple ID has been locked for security reasons"

If your Apple ID was locked, you can go to iForgot to unlock it with your existing password or reset your password. You can also click the Reset Password or Forgot Password button in the alert. Remember to type your full email address when you're asked to enter your Apple ID. For example, username@icloud.com or username@gmail.com. If you use two-step verification for Apple ID, you need to use your recovery key and a trusted device to regain access to your account.

If you can't reset your password and you don't use two-step verification, contact Apple Support.

Update your password in iCloud settings

After you change your password, you might need to update it in iCloud settings on your devices.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap Edit, if asked.
  3. Type your new password and tap Done.

Mac

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences.
  2. Click iCloud.
  3. Click Sign Out.
  4. Type your new password and click Sign In.

Windows

1. Choose Start > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click iCloud.
  3. Click Sign Out.

Email

If you use an email app to get iCloud email, the app will ask you to enter your new password when you check for mail. If OS X Mail doesn't ask you for your password, check your Mail preferences. For any other mail app, check the app's documentation to get help changing your email password.

Update other services, such as iTunes and FaceTime

If you use your Apple ID in the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, iMessage, Game Center, or FaceTime, you might need to update your password for those services.

1. Go to Settings and tap the service.
  2. Tap your Apple ID. For iMessage, tap Send & Receive and then tap your Apple ID.
  3. Tap Sign Out.
  4. Sign in with your Apple ID and your new password.

Mac or PC

If you try to sign in to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store, make a purchase, or update an app, you'll be asked to enter your password.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

When you are able to access your account again, check to make sure your billing information has been updated.

Change or remove your payment information from your iTunes Store account (Apple ID) - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201266

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2015 7:15 AM in response to mamamuddpie

Hi mamamuddpie,

If your Apple ID account has been disabled, follow the steps below to reset your password and gain access. There is a link in the article to the Apple ID Security team if you need help with this.

If your Apple ID has been locked - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204106

You might see one of these alerts:

• “This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons”
  • "You can't sign in because your account was disabled for security reasons"
  • "This Apple ID has been locked for security reasons"

If your Apple ID was locked, you can go to iForgot to unlock it with your existing password or reset your password. You can also click the Reset Password or Forgot Password button in the alert. Remember to type your full email address when you're asked to enter your Apple ID. For example, username@icloud.com or username@gmail.com. If you use two-step verification for Apple ID, you need to use your recovery key and a trusted device to regain access to your account.

If you can't reset your password and you don't use two-step verification, contact Apple Support.

Update your password in iCloud settings

After you change your password, you might need to update it in iCloud settings on your devices.

1. Go to Settings > iCloud.
  2. Tap Edit, if asked.
  3. Type your new password and tap Done.

Mac

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences.
  2. Click iCloud.
  3. Click Sign Out.

Windows

1. Choose Start > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click iCloud.
  3. Click Sign Out.

Email

If you use an email app to get iCloud email, the app will ask you to enter your new password when you check for mail. If OS X Mail doesn't ask you for your password, check your Mail preferences. For any other mail app, check the app's documentation to get help changing your email password.

Update other services, such as iTunes and FaceTime

If you use your Apple ID in the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, iMessage, Game Center, or FaceTime, you might need to update your password for those services.

1. Go to Settings and tap the service.
  2. Tap your Apple ID. For iMessage, tap Send & Receive and then tap your Apple ID.
  3. Tap Sign Out.
  4. Sign in with your Apple ID and your new password.

Mac or PC

If you try to sign in to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store, make a purchase, or update an app, you'll be asked to enter your password.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

When you are able to access your account again, check to make sure your billing information has been updated.

Change or remove your payment information from your iTunes Store account (Apple ID) - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201266

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Feb 3, 2015 2:03 PM in response to judysings

thanks so much! I actually got it straightened out satisfactorily by calling apple support and waiting on the line for 30 minutes and getting cut off and trying again, etc. etc.

it was my credit card that had a hold out on it because the number expired and then changed. they thought it was fishy.

thanks for replying, you were sweet to do that. I'm very techtarded, so need all the help I can get!

cheers

Sent from my iPad

my account has been "disabled" after my credit card expired. I updated it to buy the additional i cloud storage but now it won't let me do anything! help, please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.