Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a Time Machine Backup (on an external drive) as a "start up" drive? I need to do a disk repair.

I am upgrading my MacBook Pro (17"; Intel Core Duo; Speed 2.16 GHz; 2 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM) from Leopard (10.5.8) to Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I successfully Time Machine to make a backup to an external LaCie drive. Some issues appeared when I ran a "disk verify," and need to change the startup drive to boot up and use "repair disk." When I tried to change the startup drive (in System Preferences) the drive with the Time Machine Backup was not recognized. Can I even use Time Machine to create a bootable drive? I use Carbon Copy Clone with my iMac (and can boot from the clone), but that is not an option when running OSX 10.5.8.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Upgrading from Leopard

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 10:25 AM

Only if the backup was created by Mac OS X 10.8 or newer. Use the Mac OS X 10.6 install DVD instead.

(121333)

4 replies

Can I use a Time Machine Backup (on an external drive) as a "start up" drive? I need to do a disk repair.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.