Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to get data off of a Mac Classic?

I have about a dozen floppy disks (3.5") with photos on them. The photos were put on in 1996 by a photo company. Some of the floppies say "Mac" on them - indicating they were formatted for a Mac. Some don't. I took them to my local college, where they still have PCs with floppy drives and managed to pull the data off of some of them, but not the ones that were Mac formatted. So now I have to figure out how to get the data off the Mac floppies.

I happen to have a working Mac Classic, which, of course, has a floppy drive. I could copy all the data onto that computer. Then the question is - how do I get that data off of the Mac Classic? The Mac Classic has the following ports: ADP; DIN-8 RS-422 Serial; and DB-25 SCSI. I know that I could get a USB floppy drive, but I'd rather not since I won't have use for it after I'm done with these disks. I'd rather use what I already have.

So, I'm thinking that I'll get a USB port adapter to pull the data off the Mac Classic hard drive. I'm just not sure which port to use. Can anyone help?

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 11:04 AM

10 replies

Jan 31, 2015 2:56 PM in response to silirap

The internal hard drive of a Macintosh Classic is SCSI. USB adapters/converters for SCSI are rare (it would not have been a problem connecting a USB adapter for IDE/ATA to a modern computer.).

If the Mac floppies are 1.44 MB (HD diskettes), it should be possible to read them on a Windows PC providing that a special utility for Mac disks is installed (one that supports floppy disks, such as an earlier version of TransMac). Please note that 800K Mac floppies (on DSDD/2DD diskettes) can not be read by any USB or PC floppy drive.

It is also possible to use a null-modem connection via the MiniDIN-8 modem port on the Classic and a DB-9 serial port on a PC. However, this would require a proper set of cables, and terminal emulation software with file transfer capabilities on both machines.

Additionally, one can connect a SCSI Zip drive to the Classic, and then move the Zip disk to a USB Zip drive connected to a more modern computer.

Jan

Jan 31, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I guess it's not going to be as simple as finding the right cable. The PCs w/ floppy drives that I have access to belong to the local community college. I won't be allowed to install software on them. I gave my SCSI zip drive away years ago. However, if I get an external floppy drive, will it be able to read my Mac-formatted floppies?

Jan 31, 2015 4:41 PM in response to silirap

"if I get an external floppy drive, will it be able to read my Mac-formatted floppies?"

A modern Mac (past 15 years) will read the floppy in an external USB drive. A PC won't read Mac-formatted floppies without additional software.

But examine the disks. If their capacity is given as 1.44M, they should be readable in an external USB drive connected to a modern Mac. As Jan notes, however, 800K Mac floppies won't work in one of these USB drives, yet if the disks were made in 1996, I doubt that they're 800K.

Take the Classic Mac completely out of the equation. It's simply creating obstacles on you way to the goal of getting those pictures off the old floppies.

"I just want the Classic to recognize a USB external hard drive or flash drive."

Not going to happen without a lot of tinkering and some expense. If it's even possible, you'll find it discussed by the hobbyists at Low End Mac (http://lowendmac.com).

Feb 1, 2015 10:20 AM in response to silirap

As mns579 indicated, Mac floppy disks created in 1996 are probably 1.44 MB (HD). Even if they were 800K (DSDD/2DD), you could just use the Macintosh Classic to copy the data (via the hard disk) onto 1.44 MB Mac-formatted floppies.

Floppies that you buy today are typically 1.44 MB PC-formatted HD disks. If necessary, these can easily be reformatted to Mac in the Macintosh Classic.

Actually, if the Macintosh Classic is running a version of the system software with PC-disk handling capabilities, you could use the computer to copy files from either 800K or 1.44 MB Mac floppies onto PC-formatted 1.44 MB disks. The latter could then be read by a Windows PC without any special software.

System (7.0.1 and) 7.1 would have an Apple File Exchange application (look for it in a folder on the Tidbits system floppy) for the handling of PC disks. System 7.5 would have a PC Exchange control panel.

BTW, a Macintosh Classic (or Classic II) does not have an expansion slot for network cards (other "classic" models may have).

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp198

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp204

Jan

Feb 1, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

"Actually, if the Macintosh Classic is running a version of the system software with PC-disk handling capabilities, you could use the computer to copy files from either 800K or 1.44 MB Mac floppies onto PC-formatted 1.44 MB disks. The latter could then be read by a Windows PC without any special software.

System (7.0.1 and) 7.1 would have an Apple File Exchange application (look for it in a folder on the Tidbits system floppy) for the handling of PC disks. System 7.5 would have a PC Exchange control panel."

Very interesting ideas. I'll have to fire up the Classic and see what's on it. I gave it to a friend ages ago, thinking I'd never see it again. He moved and offered to give it back. I was going to say no, but my son wanted it so we took it. Unfortunately, he only gave us back the hardware. I don't have any of the disks that came with it. But I will see what I have to work with.

What is the best way to get data off of a Mac Classic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.