Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Not Importing - Unreadable Files

iPhoto is killing me. I got the 6+ for Christmas and just tried to import photos by plugging the phone in, opening iPhoto, and hitting import. It sits there and drags for 5 minutes plus until I kill it and it pops up with a message saying "Unreadable Files" The following files could not be imported. The file is in an unrecognized format.

The format of the photos is JPG. I've tried importing different photos but the error is the same. These are all photos taken with the iPhone 6+ camera in the Camera Roll section.

I have updated my iOs on the phone, and did updates on my Mac computer.

Help! It's driving me crazy and I need to download my photos onto my computer.

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 4:52 PM

16 replies

Jul 19, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence. I'm having a similar problem with my iPhone 6+ and Photos.

I ran your test, created a test library, and I received the same error message when I tried to import a video that wouldn't work with my original library: unreadable file. And then it wouldn't import.

I just took that video yesterday.

What does that tell you?

Dec 28, 2017 10:02 PM in response to KristiBug

This is an old thread, so here's a late 2017 update TO THE ORIGINAL ISSUE with something else to try if you encounter this error:

Be certain your device screen is unlocked before attempting to import photos by direct cable connection into iPhoto.

The clue was that Photos 2.0 requests that you unlock your device if the screen is locked when attempting to import via cable connection.

iPhotos does not make that request, and even though the device is displayed as connected in the left column, it simply fails to import any image with any format when the device is locked and displays the 'unreadable file' error message.

The same images from the same device (iPhone SE ) imported immediately and without error once the screen was unlocked.

My configuration details:

Mid-2011 i5 iMac on macOS Sierra 10.12.6

iPhoto 9.6.1

Photos 2.0

iPhone SE on iOS 11.2.1

Directly connected to iMac USB 2.0 port with genuine Apple Thunderbolt cable

Jan 21, 2018 7:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

Late post in 2018!

Thanks for this info, created new library and tried to import memory card. Didn't work first time. Took card out, wiped it - !! - and tried again, putting card in MacBook carefully this time! Then it worked. Didn't delete photos, when requested if I wanted to, note, just in case! Then went to first library and deleted all the videos that wouldn't import.

I can now access them on the second library but the first library STILL comes up with an error message every time I go to iPhoto! Annoying, keeps asking me whether I want to import them, can't get past it, makes an album but when you look at it, it says no photos, completely baffled. Will live with it as don't want to waste any more time, but expect it's filling up the old machine with junk commands that one day will need cleaning out! But at least I can see the precious films now in the second library.

Thanks for advice, if you know how to get rid of the error message, anyone, let me know.

Jan 31, 2015 10:18 PM in response to KristiBug

First make sure you're using the latest version of iPhoto for the Mac.

One option is to open iPhoto on your Mac, choose the unreadable photos and then File > Export...

Make the options look like this

User uploaded file

For the destination, choose a location you can remember, such as a new folder on your Desktop.

Import one photo, and determine if it can be synced to your iPhone without complaint.

If that works, delete the apparently corrupted photos, and then import the ones you just exported. You can then delete the folder on your Desktop containing the photos you exported.

The reason the photos became unreadable is unknown, but be advised that using a number of ill-conceived yet extremely popular "cleaning" utilities will corrupt iPhoto Libraries, resulting in permanent and irretrievable loss of the original photos.

Feb 8, 2015 9:04 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hello Terence, I recently had to replace my 2011 iMac Hard Drive, and I restored from a time machine back-up. This same problem is now happening to my iPhoto. I can import pictures, but it will not import any video. When I created a new library as you suggested, it imported videos just fine. What can I do to fix my current iPhoto library? Thanks.

Feb 8, 2015 11:01 PM in response to scottdesign

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

May 6, 2015 5:36 PM in response to KristiBug

Going out on a limb here but hoping i might be able to get some help. I had the similar issue except using Apple Photos. I attempted to import GoPro video from the micro SD card via Apple Photos. I'm an idiot I know but for whatever reason I had faith it would import alright so I check that box of "Delete after import." Sure enough I get the Unreadable file, unable to import 48 files, when I got to look back on the Micro SD card, all of the video files are gone. Any guesses or ideas where they maybe on the computer. They are not showing in the trash nor am I able to do a search in Apple Photos to see if maybe they actually did get imported.

Thanks in advance

May 6, 2015 7:59 PM in response to swtsae

1 - this has nothing in common with the original question and should be a new thread

2 - if you search the forums there are a number of issues with GoPro that are not resolved - but since virtually all other camera's are working fine I suspect strongly that the problems are on the GoPro side although they apparently are denying it

3 - Never delete images until later after you have verified they are safe and backed up

4 - there are media packages that might help like MediaRecover (although I have no idea if it works with GOPro

LN

iPhoto Not Importing - Unreadable Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.