Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk permission error, anyone know what it means?

I repaired my disk permissions tonight and got this message,

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

It's the only one it wouldn't repair, I tried to fix it twice, anybody know what it means?

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2010 3.06 GHz i3

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 5:01 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2015 5:13 PM in response to imac567

Although it’s immensely popular, repairing permissions is a waste of time unless you have a specific indication of a permission error involving system files, which is rare, or a startup failure. It has traditionally spewed bogus warning messages that mean absolutely nothing.

The built-in help for Disk Utility reads in part:

If you see an alert or a message that says your permissions are set incorrectly, you can correct the disk’s permissions by clicking Repair Disk Permissions.

It’s justifiable, though rarely necessary, to repair permissions after running a third-party software installer, as defective installers have been known to damage the permissions of system files.

Feb 2, 2015 12:07 AM in response to imac567

It means the file will be modified and not repaired. The only thing I know that will rid you of this is to erase the system and reinstall the OSX. However, if you reinstall the software program that started this, you will be right back here again.

Personally, I wouldn't worry yourself. My laptop has the exact same thing, and it runs just fine. If you're freaking out and want it gone. You could buy Techtool Pro for mac, and see if it can repair it (no guarantees). I use it, and it keeps things running nicely. Techtool is a performance, and hardware tool.

Just a thought.

https://www.micromat.com/

Feb 2, 2015 1:35 AM in response to 1bish

1bish wrote:

I reloaded the OS and it worked for me.

That's great. I put the error into Google found it was totally harmless & did nothing about it at all.

Apples own words in the linked page…

You can safely ignore these messages. You can also usually ignore any "ACL found but not expected..." message. These messages can occur if you change permissions on a file or directory; they are accurate, but generally not a cause for concern.

I choose not to ignore the advice of the OS designers, you can choose otherwise.

Disk permission error, anyone know what it means?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.