Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes update 12.0.1 causing crackling music on playback.

I updated my itunes with the new 12.0.1 update. I started playing music and noticed weird crackling in the playback of songs, not unbearable static just odd crackling noises that you can easily notice and ruin the music experience. Sometimes the crackling is worst then other times. I checked my speakers they were fine and also played my music through Windows Media Player and it was also perfectly fine and clear. What could this be?

Itunes-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 6:22 PM

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Boiwoda

There is an alternative downloader for 64-bit editions of Windows here:

iTunes 12.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

that seems to address the playback issues that some users have been reporting with the full 64-bit version (the alternative installer here is the same architecture as most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, i.e., a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer). The "for older video cards" appears to be something of a misnomer as some people have reported that this corrects problems found on current / high-spec systems.

Feb 14, 2015 11:51 AM in response to hhgttg27

First, thanks for posting this fix - it worked perfectly.

On the off chance someone from Apple is reading this I just wanted them to be aware of this issue with the 64-bit version of iTunes for Windows. I am running Windows 8 with a not so old 780 GTX graphics card and was getting this horrible crackling sound with all my music files while they played perfectly in Windows Media Player.

Feb 15, 2015 1:12 AM in response to Brady Prigge

Same here, I'm running a NVIDA GeForce GT740, Windows 8.1, 64bit, 24-gigs ram, dual SSD in Zero Raid. It's a beast of a machine, not lacking power or space with 7 additional terabytes.

But this dang iTunes creates more problems for me then what it worth, it made popcorn out of my digital files. Windows Media played everything perfect. If it wasn't for the iPhone & iPad, iTunes wouldn't be on this machine.

I have an extensive music library and it took me a couple of weeks to get everything in it's proper folders, only to import it into iTunes and have it rip apart all my work and create individual folders for songs in the same Album. Talk about being ****** off!!

Feb 15, 2015 5:51 AM in response to norby_33

I'm seeing that all three variants on 12.1.0.77 (32-bit, 64-bit, "for older video cards") are a little more susceptible to playback issues that seem to be associated with conflicts for Windows resources. If:

• Installing the "for older video cards" version, and
  • trying the available settings in Edit > Preferences > Playback, Play Audio Using dropdown (most people are finding that "Direct Sound" is the preferred choice)

then your best option is probably to roll back to 12.0 - see turingtest2's notes on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for steps needed to completely remove all installed iTunes components, and for links to the 12.0 installers.

itunes update 12.0.1 causing crackling music on playback.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.