Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.10.2 Update ruined my bluetooth reliability on my Macbook Pro

I have the iHome speaker. The bluetooth connection between it and my computer wasn't very good before the update. I updated hoping that it would get better after. The connection works even worse now. Help???

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 7:00 PM

6 replies

Feb 3, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. The only thing is that the speaker works decently with all my other apple products. It worked fine with my computer too until this recent update. For clarity sake I was running 10.10.1 then upgraded to 10.10.2 and that upgrade made the bluetooth stop working. I called the speaker manufacturer and they couldn't help. Its an apple issue.

Feb 25, 2015 5:36 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Barry, you can't be serious. Apple does not inform every device manufacturer of software releases. The accessory in question worked perfectly before the update, and continues to work very well with other devices. From that, its safe to say the issue is with the update. Yosemite has had wifi and bluetooth issues since release. It's well documented and all over the web. I myself continue to have issues with Yosemite.

While Apple can not assure anyone that third party devices continue to work they can however assure that the bluetooth stack is well implemented, stable, and extremely reliable. That is something that have completely failed to do with this release. To even suggest that the device manufacturer suggested the issue is with Apple to avoid responsibility is ridiculous. You say your not an Apple apologist but certainly appear to be.

Feb 25, 2015 5:43 AM in response to Ckh3

As for your bluetooth issues, I would suggest trying this fix from Pete over at iHealthGeek.

"Go into your Network Preferences for Yosemite, and delete any interfaces which are Bluetooth PAN, and problem solved."

If that doesn't work one of the commentors noticed that there are (in some cases) bluetooth DUN connections that are invisible until they are added. It seems that there might be issues with wifi/bluetooth even if bluetooth dun isn't active. The solution is to remove the connection entirely. See if that works by doing the following.

"you need to go into Network Preferences, add one in, and then remove it again"

Good luck!

OS X 10.10.2 Update ruined my bluetooth reliability on my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.