Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody else have their iMac with 3tb fusion drive replaced by apple store and receive standard 3 tb non fusion drive!!!!????

Just got my iMac back from the apple store. The 3tb fusion drive died and had to be replaced. Well just booted it up and it no longer has a fusion drive they replaced it with a standard 3 tb drive!!!!!! *** apple????

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 6:31 PM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2015 4:20 AM in response to neuman68

My late 2012 iMac with failed 3 TB Fusion Drive has been at the local Apple Store for three days. I just called the store because I have been worried about this happening to me, and there is no note about this on the Repair Order despite me telling the Genius when I dropped it off that I wanted to be sure that it was handled correctly. The store told me that I am repair number 11 in a queue 17 (after three days--grrrr?!) and seemed reasonably clue less about what a Fusion Drive is. I had hoped to not have to unpack and boot up the iMac before leaving the store but that sounds like it may be my only choice.

Jul 2, 2015 8:09 AM in response to LownoteNB

Fusion Drive is Apple’s trade name for a standard hard drive and a solid state drive being ‘melded’ together with software. When your computer is repaired the defective hard drive will be replaced because it is a standard hard drive. The tech should note that the computer shipped with the fusion drive option and format the drive(s) accordingly. (It is a bit more involved than just running Disk Utility). However if the tech doesn’t do this, you can do it yourself following the instructions at this site. Or you can insist that the computer be started there at the store to insure that the drive was formatted properly.

Jul 2, 2015 8:44 AM in response to dwb

Thanks. That was very informative. I had thought that I would only need to boot the iMac, go to About this Mac under the Apple menu, and check to see that there was both an HDD and an SSD listed as drives. Is that the best way to check that the installation has been done properly Or is there another approach that makes sense?

Anybody else have their iMac with 3tb fusion drive replaced by apple store and receive standard 3 tb non fusion drive!!!!????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.