Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nsurlsessiond ISNT GOING AWAY

nsurlsessiond is a process which is sapping my data. It has come and gone before and I need a way to stop it entirely. My iCloud is turned off and yet its sapping away. I live in rural Australia with 3G broadband, so 12GBs for 40 bucks (go and laugh) with a family of teenagers we monitor everything so that we don't go over. This process used 50% of our data in a day! I left my new MacBook running as you do and boom I see this process sucking up my contact with the world. I have done everything the forums recommended and it's back! Is there a way for me to permanently shut down this b*** forever. So my new Mac is being used with no internet at all and I am not impressed with this process, Apple needs to realise that not everyone has freaking unlimited broadband

PS. I am now writing this from an iPad and it is the worst possible web browser ever, well done again Apple!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 8:56 PM

14 replies

Feb 1, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Bananaporcupine

You could use Little Snitch to block it's antics. Sorry it isn't a real solution, but it could stop it in the short term.

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Another option may be Icefloor, possibly with Murus to do the same thing.

http://www.hanynet.com/icefloor/index.html (no bandwidth management on 10.10, but you can block processes).

http://www.murusfirewall.com

I think you may want to consider a filter that can sit between the outbound traffic & your wifi/ wired network.

I hear good things about Sophos UTM (used to be Astaro gateway).

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/unified-threat-management.aspx

I just can't get it working on a Mac that I tried, it is free for home use but the Sophos site is insanely complex.

That should allow you to stop clients downloading all the Apple updates etc, but it is involved.

Apr 18, 2015 9:57 PM in response to Bananaporcupine

Bananaporcupine thanks for raising this - we are also in rural Australia and run businesses from home - this nsurlsessiond problem is chewing up our plan so that we go through our internet quota in days rather than a full month. We cannot buy more data as we have the maximum plan (which costs $110 for 15gb) - we manage our use very carefully and this is a real blow and will hurt us badly. Apple need to understand that much of the world still doesn't have access to massive internet plans.

Apr 18, 2015 11:22 PM in response to buefigcreek

Yeah its a vey annoying!!

I have 2 options that i am using to successfully stop the dreaded leech.

1. Use Little snitch, it monitors all network connections and i denied nsurlseesiond when it popped up. Full version cost around $40 however

2. Open the terminal from your launchpad (is basically a system command tool)

Copy and Paste the following into the terminal:

#!/bin/sh

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nsurlstoraged.plist

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.nsurlsessiond.plist

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nsurlsessiond.plist

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nsurlstoraged.plist

It will then ask for your password, type it in and it blocks nsurlsessiond

This only lasts until the computer shuts down So you have to do this every time you start the computer back up So save the code in your notes or word.

This should work for you! No more lost data

Apr 19, 2015 12:25 AM in response to Bananaporcupine

I don't know if iCloud is the only use of this process, but many users have been complaining about the recent addition of Photos. It will upload all photos to ICloud. That may be many GB's of data.

Ensure that is turned off if you are on a restricted network. Otherwise you may simply be fighting the inevitable - uploads will keep resuming since it is required by the iCloud settings.

Good luck with it

Apr 19, 2015 1:06 AM in response to buefigcreek

The 'fix' is a bit of a kludge IMO.

launchd has the ability to permanently disable jobs, the -w flag will do that. So you can run the command once & forget about it (updates may undo the change).

It's unclear to me how essential this process is for other OS features, but the correct way to disable services is in the manual.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man1/launchctl.1.html

Obviously disabling Apple services can cause other issues, so bear that in mind if things fall apart in odd ways 🙂

May 9, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Bananaporcupine

I too have experienced this problem and it blew out my download cap with iiNet. Some third party software suppliers also use nsurlsessiond. Do you have the adobe creative cloud programme installed? I have some evidence from the way my IMac and laptop have been operating that it may have something to do with creative cloud and I wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Jan 16, 2016 7:39 AM in response to Bananaporcupine

Here we are a year later with the same problem which I had been battling for days until I found your solution. I pasted it into my Terminal and BINGO! I had back my full bandwidth again instantly. As our service is only 2mbps carrying about 12 devices this was a very important repair. I still have to keep various Photos up/downloads off ICloud Drive while working (I will switch it back on when I take a few days off so that it can sap the Internet uninterrupted until our thousands of photos get synced). Anyway, thank you!

Nsurlsessiond ISNT GOING AWAY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.