Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I am happy with my current router can I still use Time Capsule as a back up device?

I have a ASUS router which works great and I'm wondering if I can use Air Port Time Capsule as a back up device for both my Mac Desktop and Laptop or do I have to use it as a wireless router?

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 10:53 PM

You can continue to use your current router.. It is however a good idea to use the Time Capsule correctly as part of the network.. plug it into the Asus with ethernet and put it in bridge mode.. that is router bridge.. the wizard should choose it automatically but may fail.. so just edit the settings when the airport utility wizard is finished.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

There is no need to turn wireless off but you can choose to do so if you wish. Simply select Off in the Network Mode above.

One good reason to use wireless in the TC is that backups are heavy and for 5 minutes an hour both the Macs could flood the wireless so everything else stops.. using their own wireless can help.

However there is plenty of flexibility and it is up to you.

Strongly recommend as above.. all names kept short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Do not follow the apple recommended names in the utility .. they can be wrong and sometimes very wrong.

I presume you already have a Time Capsule.. if not.. don't buy one.

Get a USB drive.. cheaper and faster and more reliable than a TC and plug it into the iMac. Share it to the network so the laptop can also use it for backups.

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

You may even be able to plug a USB drive into the Asus router and do Time Machine to that.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004458/

Not that I would recommend USB on anything but Apple router for Time Machine.. if you are doing things over a network.. you can however use Carbon Copy Cloner and it would do fine.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2015 10:53 PM in response to robh33

You can continue to use your current router.. It is however a good idea to use the Time Capsule correctly as part of the network.. plug it into the Asus with ethernet and put it in bridge mode.. that is router bridge.. the wizard should choose it automatically but may fail.. so just edit the settings when the airport utility wizard is finished.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

There is no need to turn wireless off but you can choose to do so if you wish. Simply select Off in the Network Mode above.

One good reason to use wireless in the TC is that backups are heavy and for 5 minutes an hour both the Macs could flood the wireless so everything else stops.. using their own wireless can help.

However there is plenty of flexibility and it is up to you.

Strongly recommend as above.. all names kept short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Do not follow the apple recommended names in the utility .. they can be wrong and sometimes very wrong.

I presume you already have a Time Capsule.. if not.. don't buy one.

Get a USB drive.. cheaper and faster and more reliable than a TC and plug it into the iMac. Share it to the network so the laptop can also use it for backups.

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

You may even be able to plug a USB drive into the Asus router and do Time Machine to that.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004458/

Not that I would recommend USB on anything but Apple router for Time Machine.. if you are doing things over a network.. you can however use Carbon Copy Cloner and it would do fine.

If I am happy with my current router can I still use Time Capsule as a back up device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.