Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G5 not displaying anything!

i have a 1.6 ghz single core and single processor model. when i turn it on it starts up. fans kick in. i HEAR THE CHIME. and the hdd starts to make its normal noise.

nothing is flashing. everything is how it should be. except the fact that my 23" apple hd cinema display the plastic one, does not show anything. it still gets enough power to run the backlight of the buttons. the keyboard and mouse are plugged in to the monitor. i can still eject the cd drive via the keyboard. but the mouse' laser doesn't appear to be showing anything. hellp me bdaquaxd

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.6 GHz Single Core Single Processo

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 3:07 AM

54 replies

Feb 1, 2015 10:38 AM in response to bpali2001

Is this the G5 that you moved RAM modules around inside…

I clicked the PMU reset button twice!:(

What else have you altered recently?

Is everything 'seated' correctly if you removed & reinserted anything internal?

Do you have any other monitors to try?

Can you try the monitor on another Mac?

You have tried resetting NVRAM (PRAM)

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 1, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Drew Reece

yes the ram is now back in place. yes everything is seated correctly. i tried one other monitor with the dvi output but that doesn't seem to get any signal at all. unfortunately, i can't try this 23" apple cinema hd display with any other mac. the only mac i have besides the g5 is a 2014 macbook air. there are no adc ports on any other of my computers.

ill try resetting the pram now then.

Feb 2, 2015 1:56 PM in response to bpali2001

bpali2001 wrote:

i have an adc 23 apple cinema hd display. that gets some power for the button backlights but no signal. i tried the dvi out with an other monitor. that gets no signal also. could resetting the PMU twice in a quick succession (accidentally) cause this problem?

Can you answer BDAqua's last question please…

BDAqua wrote:

I believe we have a PSU or Logic Board problem, using the DVI monitor does alt key on power up bring up anything on the display?

We need specific confirmation otherwise steps may be missed & nothing is resolved.

We also need to know about what tones you hear on startup - are you hearing the normal startup tone or something else?

Feb 3, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Drew Reece

i just tried to bring up something on the dvi screen, but that does not seem to work.:/

when i turn the g5 on, i hear this stuff:

1 fans kick in

2 fans go to normal speed

3 chime

4 one single not so loud beep.

5 hdd spinning.(normal)

but yeah nothing appears on any of my screens.

new graphics card arrives tomorrow in the mail.

ill keep you guys up to date.

Feb 4, 2015 1:40 PM in response to BDAqua

oh thank you that was a great idea. turned out that the main hdd is broken. it had the os on it. looks like ill get that out tomorrow and install the os on the other one. but the failed hdd is very very hard to get out. the other one just slides out but the broken one is stuck in there and it won't let the working hdd out of its place.

PowerMac G5 not displaying anything!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.