Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldn’t communicate with a helper application

In the app store I get the following message when I click the update tab, "An error has occurred. Couldn’t communicate with a helper application". I have tried restarting normally and in safe mode with the same message.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 7:31 AM

I have the same problem and looking for a solution I ran into:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1746000

which suggests to rune:

softwareupdate --install --all

which I attempted but got:

Finding available software

Feb 2 10:25:16 Armandos-MacBook-Pro-2.local softwareupdate CLI[1504] <Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: Service connection interrupted!

Feb 2 10:25:16 Armandos-MacBook-Pro-2.local softwareupdate CLI[1504] <Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: XPC error in __45-[SUCommandLineTool _refreshAvailableUpdates]_block_invoke (Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.softwareupdated) UserInfo=0x7f925a407300 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.softwareupdated})

I am not sure what to do next but I figured I post it here as I see I am not the only person having this problem

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2015 7:31 AM in response to rwedwards

I have the same problem and looking for a solution I ran into:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1746000

which suggests to rune:

softwareupdate --install --all

which I attempted but got:

Finding available software

Feb 2 10:25:16 Armandos-MacBook-Pro-2.local softwareupdate CLI[1504] <Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: Service connection interrupted!

Feb 2 10:25:16 Armandos-MacBook-Pro-2.local softwareupdate CLI[1504] <Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: XPC error in __45-[SUCommandLineTool _refreshAvailableUpdates]_block_invoke (Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.softwareupdated) UserInfo=0x7f925a407300 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.softwareupdated})

I am not sure what to do next but I figured I post it here as I see I am not the only person having this problem

Couldn’t communicate with a helper application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.