Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - HDCP-content

After updating my apple-tv (2 days ago to the OS 7.0.3) I can't watch anything other than trailers from itunes-app on my apple-tv (A1427).
Netflix, youtube, airplay-content ++ plays for 2-3 seconds and freezes. After 20 sec the HDCP-message appears.

I have tried to:
1) connect the ATV to my tv directly (it always have been)
2) setting the ATV to "sleep-now", turning my tv off for 10 sec and restart tv/atv - did not work
3) restart apple tv from the settings menu AND by trying to hold down the menu and down-button - did not work
4) I have tried to change my hdmi-cable and even tried switching which ned of the cable is connected to the atv/tv-ports - in all possible combinations while trying the stuff above - didn't help.
5) I also upgraded the TVs firmware (actually this was at point 4), and checked with the manufacturer that the TV actually support HDCP-content through HDMI. It does through all 3 hdmi-ports.

What to do? The content that doesn't work will play fine if i connect my mac to the TV with the same hdmi-cables through the same ports.

I loved apple because all of their stuff seamed to "just work without any fuzz". Really starteting to regret my whole apple love affair now.

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 2:02 AM

11 replies

Feb 5, 2015 1:53 AM in response to sylfesten

One thing to check is to make sure the TV is set to the HDMI input the ATV is connected to before you wake the ATV.

The reason for this is the individual HDMI inputs on some TVs do not respond to HDCP queries unless/until they are selected. So, depending on what the ATV is set to when it wakes up, it may query the TV to see if it supports HDCP, get no response, & assume the TV doesn't support it.

Mar 3, 2015 12:51 AM in response to sylfesten

I Also made this update. I have a ATV 3,1 (A1427) updated to 7.0.3

And ever since i had this HDCP error.

- Tried all types of settings in the ATV that has to do with video/audio

- Tried to do a reboot from the menu

- Tried an update/restore in iTunes with micro-usb (3 or 4 times)

- Tried to downgrade the firmware that way (didnt work though)

- Tried 4 different HDMI-cables

- Tried all HDMI outputs on that TV

- Upgraded the firmware on the TV

- Tried another TV, didn´t work either.

Im going back to the store where i bought it.. try to get it replaced, not sure if i can since i bought it in january 2013.

This *****!

Mar 3, 2015 5:04 AM in response to sylfesten

Problem solved:

My ATV3 was bought in USA. The norwegian apps on my ATV wouldn't allow my ATV (which had an american IP) to stream the content. Some codec of some sort which it blamed on the hdmi-cable (HDCP).

Bought an Norwegian ATV and everything runs smoothly. On the norwegian bought ATVs you can change to american IP, but not the other way around.
Will be buying my next one in mye home country 😉.

Thanks for all the replies

Nov 2, 2015 2:24 PM in response to sylfesten

Well I have two HD TVs and one Apple TV 2 and one Apple TV 3 (A1427). The ATV2 works perfectly on both TVs while the ATV 3 has the HDCP error on both. Even when set on standard definition I get the error. So it is not a cable or TV issue - it has to be something in the ATV 3 firmware. I have tried all disconnects and sleep procedures - full update then factory reset - current software is 7.2 (7512)

This is infuriating

Apple TV - HDCP-content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.