Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo storage won't clear after photos are deleted

Hey thanks in advance for the help. I loaded a lot of Go-Pro video and photos directly onto my iPad. After transferring them to my computer I deleted them off of the iPad. Currently I have 3 videos, about 30minutes, and a few hundred pictures. That's all I see of have access to. But, the photos are taking up 44GB and if I look in iTunes it sais I have 2650 photos. I can't access any of those. A quick internet search led me to get the program IExplorer. With that program I can see all of the deleted photos that don't appear on my iPad or for import. But, I can't figure out how to delete the photos with that program either.

Anyway I could really use the 40 extra GB that are being mysteriously taken up by deleted photos for movies and the like. Thanks for the help.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 7:02 AM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2015 2:41 PM in response to JCBernier

I am afraid, I cant provide a solution, but I have a very similar issue with my iPad and I checked a couple of things already, maybe this saves you a bit of time:

Total of 4 pictures in camera roll. (screenshots) No videos ect.

No Albums, no synced albums from iPhoto, Aperture whatsoever...

No videos in "Videos" App

"Recently deleted" Album is empty

Usage (in settings) shows 3.1 GB for "Photos & Camera"

when connected, iTunes shows 318 photos (3.07 GB)

I did backup the ipad, restored via itunes (this removed 2 GB of "other" data from the device, at least. The magenta "photos" bar did not change a bit)

iTunes still shows 318 photos (3.07 GB)

Hitting "Sync" next to the usage in iTunes did not change anything.

As the size of the "Photos & Camera" category in the usage settings is already showing too much, I don´t think the issue is with iTunes.

If someone has an idea how to fix our problem, it would be much appreciated.

iPad Air iOS 8.1.3 (product type iPad 4.1) 16 GB

iTunes on OSX 10.10

Apr 9, 2015 6:15 AM in response to JCBernier

I was having this same problem. I figured out that I had to on my phone go to photos > albums > recently deleted, and delete all of the photos again. Basically after you deleted the photos your phone still stores them for 30 days in case you change your mind and want them back. You must permanently delete them to free up the storage and then sync your phone on itunes.

Aug 31, 2015 7:58 AM in response to JCBernier

Same problem. I read tons of fixes that didn't work. Photos "delete" doesn't delete it just archives for 30 days. Go to albums--> recently deleted --> delete again. THAT didn't work. I found the fix in iCloud which I despise. I set it to NEVER store photos but it always resets and continues to store photos and clogs up everything. I assume it's so they can scare you into buying more storage. Don't fall for it. Got to iCloud and turn off storage for photos. THAT worked for me and released memory I USED to be an Apple fan but they've gone SO SOUTH since Steve's demise!!!!! It's all about the share holders now.

Photo storage won't clear after photos are deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.