Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't see some of my photos. iPhoto says "The Operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -54.)

when I click on some photos i saw this sign. This happen after one Time Machine backup (I think) and I couldn't solve it. I've tried to rebuild library and thumbnail and it didn't work.

User uploaded file

and this too. What should I do?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 6:02 AM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Acesang

(OSStatus error -54.) is a permission error, when opening a file. The error message could mean, that the image files are missing, or could not be found, or that you do not have the permissions to open it.

How did you restore the iPhoto Library from your Time Machine backup?

You need to use Time Machines interface and enter Time Machine. You cannot simply copy from the backup drive.

See this link: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

If you restored correctly, see Pondini's page, in particular this tip: Permissions problems restoring iPhoto Library

Feb 1, 2015 7:03 AM in response to Acesang

This indicates a disconnect between the Thumbnail and the original

this can be caused by two things

1 - User action deleting items from inside the iPhoto library - can be directly - can be from the All images list (never delete from there) - can be from running cleanup software like MacKeeer, CleanMac2 or other dangerous, defective software that improperly deletes or changes things in the iPhoto library - if you have done any of these things you must restore your backup from before you did them and damaged your iPhoto library - and I recommend getting rid of any "clean up software" ASAP (although being essentially MalWear it is not easy)

2 - corruption of the iPhoto library - If it is not #1 then Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your database

LN

I can't see some of my photos. iPhoto says "The Operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -54.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.