Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original ipad, can't connect to YouTube app anymore

Since the YouTube app shipped with my original iPad quit connecting in Jan 2015, I can't reach YouTube.

Some say Safari will connect, but when I click on a YouTube link in Safari, I get the same "can't connect".

New YouTube app on App Store only works with iOS 6 or better, which of course will not run on original iPad.

Is there no official Apple mention of this huge take-away? I know the excuse that it's Google/YouTube who dropped support of the original YouTube app, but Apple owes us at least an FAQ, no?

So what is the best YouTube app now that will run on iOS 5.1.1 on original iPad?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1, original

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 7:36 AM

25 replies

Feb 1, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Lyssa

No, "Reset Network Connections" did not help.

I still get "cannot connect to YouTube", whether from the original YouTube app or from clicking on a youtube link in any Safari page, on my original iPad.

And as I said, I don't know of any alternate YouTube app that runs on my iOS 5.1.1, beyond which I can't upgrade.

Is it or isn't it true that YouTube connection is completely broken for original iPad? It is for me but I can't even find official confirmation of this.

Feb 11, 2015 8:15 PM in response to DougInAmbler

I am having a similar problem with the original youtube app on my Ipad 1st generation. I like to use the original app for it's "most viewed" section, which compiles top domestic and international videos and does not have an equivalent in the new device. I know apple discontinued the original youtube application for later IOS but it had always worked previously on my ipad 1. Suddenly I get the "cannot connect to youtube" warning despite resetting device, network connection etc. I have synced but have not yet attempted a full restore of the ipad. Other wifi features and safari are functioning. Google's youtube app is working.

Is this youtube finally cracking down on the original app? It doesn't display adds so it hurts their bottom line? Please advise

Feb 12, 2015 5:39 AM in response to JimO'D

JimO'D says "Google's youtube app is working"

What version please?

The only Google YouTube app I find at the App Store is marked for iOS 6 or better, which of course won't install on my iOS 5.1.1.

And to repeat, some report they can run Safari and view a YouTube video that way. But when I click on any YouTube link in Safari it seems to launch my non-functioning original YouTube app, which then says "can't connect to YouTube".

Still looking for any way to view YouTube videos on original iPad with iOS 5.1.1

Feb 18, 2015 3:55 PM in response to DougInAmbler

I had the same "cannot connect to youtube" error. I tried to sync my iPad 1 with the app store but that did not work. What DID work was going to the app store on my iPad, searching for youtube, and clicking install (I chose the first youtube app that came up in the app store search). I got a message that I could not download the latest version of youtube because my IOS was not compatible. However, it gave me the option to download the latest version of youtube that my IOS could handle. Victory! This worked and youtube is back in business on my original iPad 1. I hope this helps.

Feb 19, 2015 8:56 AM in response to kayejaye10

KayJaye10, it would be great if the App Store gave me that option, to install a 5.1.1-compatible YouTube app.

But the first, and preferred, App I see at App Store is "Google Inc YouTube", version 2.16.11441 from Nov 2014.

Install fails (as before) with the message that I must upgrade to iOS 6 or better (why would they tell me to do the impossible?), no other option.

Perhaps you accepted one of the other 3rd party YouTube apps? or is there some way to get the last Google YouTube app compatible with iOS 5.1.1?

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2015 11:22 AM in response to DougInAmbler

Original iPad user here. I have the same problem you have. The Youtube app gives me the "Cannot connect to Youtube" warning since mid january. The problem persists no matter what Internet connection I use. I am able to use Youtube.com via the Safari app however, I don't know why you can't. Have you tried going directly on youtube.com or did you just click youtube links? Because the latter automatically tries to run the Youtube app.

I also tried kayejaye10's solution, without any success. The App Store doesn't give me that option either.

It seems we are in the same boat. I did not find any other report of that problem online, and I can't find a Youtube app that works on iOS 5 for the life of me.

Feb 19, 2015 11:56 AM in response to g_enetor

Thank you g_enetor!

Going to YouTube.com in Safari was the trick I needed. Till now I didn't realize that was different from clicking a YouTube URL link in Safari.

So YouTube is restored for me, in a way.

I'm glad to finally hear that of the 1 million or so original iPad users I wasn't the only one to find YouTube disabled in January 2015.

I hope there's still a possibility of getting an iOS 5-compliant YouTube app, or at the very least some official notice that this is no longer possible.

Original ipad, can't connect to YouTube app anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.