Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks on my iPhone wont sync

iBooks on my iPhone 6 will not sync to any other device. I have already verified all settings on the phone mentioned in other questions

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 8:39 AM

iBooks only syncs books purchased on the iBook Store. To sync other books and PDFs, you need to use iTunes.

10 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:50 AM in response to picas

I have a kind alike problem as the OP ... just bought a book on my iMac (in the iBook store) and it simply doesn't show up on my iPhone(6) .... this should sync (iCloud) without interference of iTunes, shouldn't it?

I've verified every setting w.r.t. syncing (e.g. "Hide iCloud Books" disabled in Collections-tab on iPhone) .... the book simply doesn't show up.

Mar 30, 2015 6:12 AM in response to King_Penguin

I must admit that the "Requirements" for this particular book indeed make notice of an iPad explicitly (and not an iOS device) ..... didn't notice that at first. Thanks for pointing this out.

But ... even though this particular book seems not to be suited for iPhone I checked whether other books (previews), opened in iBooks on my iMac, do show up on my bookshelf on my iPhone as well. Well, they don't!!! (This time I made sure that it is suitable for every type of iOS device)

Something is very strange: I do notice that I have a notification (red circle with a '1' in it) in iBooks (iPhone6) on the Purchased button (lower right corner of the iBooks app) but selecting this purchased section doesn't tell me what is new nor what to do. It only shows the list of purchased items but not the new item ... the notification remains, no matter what I do. Seems like the app does know that I bought this book but doesn't know what to do about it.

Mar 30, 2015 6:29 AM in response to JeeHoo

Books that aren't compatible with iPhones shouldn't show on the bookshelf in the iBooks on your phone for redownloading, nor in the store, only those that can be read on it should be shown.

The '1' on the Purchased tab means that one of your books that you have in the app has an update available for downloading, not that there is new purchase. Is there an Updates tab on Purchased, or does one of the book's have update against it : About iBooks book updates - Apple Support ?

Mar 30, 2015 7:56 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi "King_Penguin",

First of all thanks for your advises, really appreciated!

I double checked whether or not some other books (of which I downloaded the previews within iBooks on my mac) were supposed to be compatible with my iPhone (and not only a iPad), which they were. Still they don't show up on my phone.

W.r.t. the '1'-notification on my purchased button (on iPhone): I can't see what it is I'm being notified about ... returning back to my iBooks app on my Mac however I notice that indeed there is an update to one of my purchased items (I followed the steps as the document "About iBooks book updates" explains).

I initially tried to do the update but somehow it failed twice (near the end of the download a pop-up window tells me so, without any explanation what exactly went wrong). Deleting the book from my bookshelf and then downloading again solved the problem - the update now downloads without problems.

As the '1' still showed up on my iPhone I decided to download that very same book on this device as well (even though there was no hint whatsoever what exactly needed an update!) This indeed did make the notification go away.

I still have the idea that both environments are not synced though but maybe I am wrong (assuming that previews should also sync) on this ... as I just noticed that my bookmarks on those books I do see on both devices do sync correctly!

I'll keep an eye on it.

Once again thanks for your feedback.....

Jan.

iBooks on my iPhone wont sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.