Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic Freezes iTunes solution

I have an 80g iPod Classic 6th generation that froze my computer whenever I connected it. That means I couldn't sync any new music or movies. At first I thought it was just freezing iTunes, but I soon realized it was freezing the entire computer. I have Windows Vista and it would say that "Windows Explorer was not responding". That's "Windows" explorer, not "Internet" explorer. I followed all the apple support troubleshooting steps without success. I could hear the hard drive spinning so I figured it was ok. I tried my wifes iPod and it connected without incident. I downloaded the latest iTunes version. I tried different usb ports and a different cable. Then I noticed the iPod was nearly full (74 gig) but there were only 258 songs in it. So I suspected that it was corrupt, which means that I had to "restore" it to factory settings, not to be confused with "reset", it's important to pay close attention to the nomanclature. But the restore feature is on iTunes and it was frozen.

After many hours of mixed information from the internet, I finally found the simple solution. To access iTunes I put my iPod in "Disc Mode", a simple two step procedure described on Apple Support. Do not connect it until after you put it in disc mode. Then I connected it to the computer and voila, I was into iTunes with a message that my iPod was "corrupt". I followed the simples steps and restored it to factory settings. All of the songs were gone but I syncd it and reloaded all of the songs. If you have other things in your iPod that aren't in Itunes, back them up before restoring it.

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 7:41 AM

1 reply

iPod Classic Freezes iTunes solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.