Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto on TimeCapsule

Good morning,

I would like to know if I can place my iPhoto Library on TimeCapsule so it frees space from my MacBook Air 2013 disk so that the iPhoto Library is still accessible and laso that I can still sync my iPhone's photos there.

Thank you,

Luis García

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 9:16 AM

2 replies

Feb 1, 2015 9:29 AM in response to LuisGD

Apple Support advises NOT to do this, as well as the experts in the iPhoto Support Forum. You might want to post your question over there to confirm:

iPhoto for Mac

The bottom line here is that the Time Capsule is for your backups......not for working libraries.

The correct way to do this would be to add a USB or FireWire hard drive to your Mac, and then move the iPhoto Library over to that drive.Once you have done this, then you can have Time Machine back up both your Mac and the hard drive to the Time Capsule, so you have "originals" on one drive and "backups" on another drive. That would be a minimum backup plan.

Feb 1, 2015 9:59 AM in response to LuisGD

In addition to what Bob Timmons said, it is not a good idea, because Time Machine and iPhoto will fight for space on the Time Machine volume.

Move your iPhoto Library to an external drive and make sure, the drive is directly connected and formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). No other file system format will work with photo libraries.

See this link: iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

iPhoto libraries should be stored on a locally mounted Mac OS X Extended drive for best performance.

Many external drives come pre-formatted as FAT32. Use Disk Utility to format new external hard drives as Mac OS X Extended before using them with iPhoto. For instructions on how to do so, follow steps in Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture.

and:

Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.

iPhoto on TimeCapsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.