Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to server on airport extreme

I just connected an external HD to my airport extreme (latest model) to use as my time machine backup. I get the message: "There was a problem connecting to the server 10.0.1.1 The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again."

I am getting the LAN IP from Airport Utility and then going into finder under "Go" > "Connect to server". When I enter the LAN IP and hit connect, I get the above message. I am running a 2011 iMac with current edition of Yosemite. I tried connecting on my 2014 Macbook Pro as well and get the same message. I have no problem connecting to the internet via the AE. All software is current.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2011 iMac, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 9:22 AM

This is a known bug in Yosemite, which was present in the initial roll out, and remains unfixed with the 10.10.1 update and now also the 10.10.2 update as far as I can tell.

The same type of issue was reported a bit earlier today in this thread, and will be reported probably another 6-8 times by the end of the day: Time Capsule unavailable

All that you can really do is try power down the AirPort Extreme and your Mac and power them back up to see if the path is restored. Things will work until they don't, at which time you have to repeat the process again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2015 9:22 AM in response to acupunk

This is a known bug in Yosemite, which was present in the initial roll out, and remains unfixed with the 10.10.1 update and now also the 10.10.2 update as far as I can tell.

The same type of issue was reported a bit earlier today in this thread, and will be reported probably another 6-8 times by the end of the day: Time Capsule unavailable

All that you can really do is try power down the AirPort Extreme and your Mac and power them back up to see if the path is restored. Things will work until they don't, at which time you have to repeat the process again.

Feb 1, 2015 9:33 AM in response to acupunk

There is no solution at the present time other than a workaround of trying to restart devices....which may or may not work.

You could experiment with renaming the devices if the names are long and have special characters.....like an apostrophe in the name. If you try this, keep the name short....no more than 20 characters......use only normal letters and/or numbers.....with no blank spaces in the name.

Feb 1, 2015 11:26 AM in response to acupunk

There is another Yosemite bug that can create the "unexpected error", and that has to do with IPv6 settings. This is a carry over from Lion and Mountain Lion.

AirPort base station not seen or "An unexpected error occurred" appears in AirPort Utility 6.3 - Apple Support

On your Mac, open System Preferences, then Open Network.

Click on WiFi on the left side to highlight it, then click Advanced at the lower right

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK, then click Apply

Repeat the same process for Ethernet, then restart your Mac

Feb 2, 2015 4:36 AM in response to acupunk

acupunk wrote:

I just connected an external HD to my airport extreme (latest model) to use as my time machine backup. I get the message: "There was a problem connecting to the server 10.0.1.1 The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again."

I am getting the LAN IP from Airport Utility and then going into finder under "Go" > "Connect to server". When I enter the LAN IP and hit connect, I get the above message. I am running a 2011 iMac with current edition of Yosemite. I tried connecting on my 2014 Macbook Pro as well and get the same message. I have no problem connecting to the internet via the AE. All software is current.

When you type into Go, Connect to server.. are you typing SMB://10.0.1.1

Or are you trying to use AFP, which probably won't work in yosemite.

How is the disk formatted? Is it showing in the airport utility, in the disk tab as available.. not all disks will work.

Feb 2, 2015 2:11 PM in response to acupunk

acupunk wrote:

Yes, I am typing SMB://10.0.1.1 Have a WD My Book that I reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It doesn't show in Airport Utility Have been using it for a few years as my time machine on my iMac.

Sorry the format of the last post got messed up.

Your WD hard disk must show up in airport utility on the disk tab.. the passport is self powered and you may need to use a powered hub to provide sufficient power to it.

If you have been using it for TM backups connected to your mac directly you will NOT be able to use those backups by network connection to the airport. Time Machine does not work the same way to network drives.. just so you know. But the first problem is to get that disk to show up.

Cannot connect to server on airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.