Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer data( photos, music, docs) from MacBook Pro 2009 to MacBook Pro 2015 Retina?

Recently purchased a MB pro retina and I want to transfer my photos, docs and music from my MB Pro 2009. Can someone please help me. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Macbook pro mid 2009

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 11:38 AM

You have a few options available. You can connect the two using Firewire and transferring via Target Disk Mode. If this isn't feasible, then you can connect each to your local network and transfer your files over the network. Be sure to enable File Sharing on each via the Sharing preferences panel.

If you cannot use Target Disk Mode, then you can transfer your data from the old computer to an external USB drive. When finished connect the drive to the new computer and restore the data to the appropriate, respective locations. This is more reliable and faster than using your network.

TDM will require you to purchase a Firewire adaptor for the new computer's Thunderbolt port.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2015 11:38 AM in response to rz1161

You have a few options available. You can connect the two using Firewire and transferring via Target Disk Mode. If this isn't feasible, then you can connect each to your local network and transfer your files over the network. Be sure to enable File Sharing on each via the Sharing preferences panel.

If you cannot use Target Disk Mode, then you can transfer your data from the old computer to an external USB drive. When finished connect the drive to the new computer and restore the data to the appropriate, respective locations. This is more reliable and faster than using your network.

TDM will require you to purchase a Firewire adaptor for the new computer's Thunderbolt port.

How do I transfer data( photos, music, docs) from MacBook Pro 2009 to MacBook Pro 2015 Retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.