Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to iPhoto 9.6 and lost all of my photos

Hello, I just updated to iPhoto at its prompting and lost my iPhoto library. I am trying to restore it from TimeMachine, but the finder has been saying it is "preparing to copy Pictures" for several minutes with no progress. Help! I've seen other users with this issue, it is insane that this happened, reminds me of windows updates from the 90s.

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 11:09 AM

5 replies

Feb 1, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Rollem

I am trying to restore it from TimeMachine, but the finder has been saying it is "preparing to copy Pictures" for several minutes with no progress.

How are you restoring from Time Machine? Don't use the Finder to copy, that will not work.

Enter Time Machine with your Pictures folder selected. See this Help text:

iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202321

Feb 3, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Rollem

I'm just giving my current status to give other people insight in case anyone else comes across this problem. I restored the iPhoto library from Time Machine (it took about 4 hours to do this) and then using the instructions on this page: iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library - Apple Support

All of my photo albums are gone, my wife is not happy with losing the albums she made of each year of our daughter's life. If anyone has suggestions on getting the albums back, I'm all ears!

Feb 3, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Rollem

Why do you think you albums are gone? Are you sure they are not just hidden - hover your cursor over the word albums and if the word "show" is on the right move over and click "show"

Or you can Try again

If you restore your library and then upgrade it (which may require the iphoto library uprader if you previously had iphoto '08 or earlier) they you will lose no albums

LN

Updated to iPhoto 9.6 and lost all of my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.