Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book pro keeps randomly dying

My macbook pro from mid 2009 keeps randomonly dying. At first I thought it had just overheated but it just died when I first tried to use it for the day and then kept dying every time I would try to start it until I let it sit for 20 mins. Help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 1:13 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2015 6:48 AM in response to heatherkr29

Hello heatherkr29,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understant that your MacBook Pro is unexpectedly shutting down. I definitely understand how this is a frustrating issue, so to begin troubleshooting, I'd like you to please reset the SMC on the Mac.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Feb 4, 2015 8:01 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Same thing is happening on my macbook pro. Did SMC reset, reset PRAM, & ran the hardware test numerous times. Replaced the hard drive, the battery & magsafe power adapter. It still shuts down randomly. Looking at all the forums, this seems to be a common problem but so far I haven't found a resolution. Any other ideas I can try.

Macbook Pro early 2011

running Yosemite 10.10.2

Mac book pro keeps randomly dying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.