Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Safari

Hi everyone. Safaris locked up on me. A window has popped up saying, "http://www.404-errors.info Security Error." Underneath that it says, "Call helpline 1-877-899-1824." On searching for that # in Firefox I get very crazy locations, such as "All Services Electric, Cedar Lake..." Tried some of fixes that didn't work, including resetting the auto time. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite version 10.10.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 12:45 PM

Force quit Safari and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

(121431)

17 replies

Mar 7, 2015 4:50 PM in response to nezrain

So I called the number as well... Obviously a little jittery due to the precarious nature of this incident, I asked for more details. Reply was very slip shod and he rambled on about coming from some premium helpline (which helped take calls on behalf of Apple). It was obviously a scam but I was scared. Basically, they require you to connect your server to theirs so that they can help 'fix' the problem. I hung up after he transferred me over to someone and immediately got a call back. I'm just a little unsure if anything on my computer was compromised? Can they do that remotely these days without me clicking anything?

Seeing that this thread is a recently surfaced one, it is safe to say that this has just started. Is there a way to alert Apple to put this to bed? The shift key didn't work for me and I had to Command-Q and instantaneously type in google into the search bar so that my safari wouldn't open up to the page again when I restarted it.

Apr 5, 2015 12:08 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi there, unfortunately my sister & brother in law fell victim to this scam, and did allow them remote access to their computer via LogMeIn. They downloaded the Sleipnir browser on their recommendation, and finally cut off wireless when they realized that it was a scam (they asked for $200).

At this point, I'm keeping the wireless off on their machine, and having them reset all passwords from my computer. It seems that the best course of action is to erase the hard drive, but they have music, documents, and pictures that are not backed up. If I let them back these up to an external hard drive, is it possible that any Trojan Horse will come along too? My inclination is to have them save them on a hard drive and not access them from the same computer, but I don't know if that makes any sense.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice for us at this point. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to colsiedc

This is a horrible scam. Much like one my mom fell for. They have a phone number and web address. Can't that be shut down? I called when my safari was disabled by this and hung up on him when he said it would be $200 to fix. (I didn't give him control or any personal info). The shift restart worked to clear it for me. I also deleted my history.

Locked Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.