Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 Mac Pro graphics problem

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro with dual AMD FirePro D300's. Although this could be coincidence, it appears that after updating to 10.10.2, I find my graphics "freeze" after a random period of time (I updated late last week). I can unfreeze by rebooting, or by unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in again. In the latter case, it takes about 30 seconds for the graphics to re-enable, and they are very sluggish after they do re-enable. I have run the standard Apple diagnostics to no avail. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any suggestions? Any help would be great! Thank you in advance.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 9:36 PM

5 replies

Feb 4, 2015 6:00 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for this response. With nothing else to go on, I guess I have to assume it is some sort of bug somewhere. In looking at the console log, what I see is causing the display to be slow after I unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in again is what appear to be UI update disables:

2/4/15 5:33:37.955 PM WindowServer[145]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Google Chrome" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

2/4/15 5:33:37.963 PM WindowServer[145]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Google Chrome" after 1.01 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

This does not happen prior to the GPU crash; which from the console log appears to be what hangs the system in the first place.

Note that it is not just Google Chrome that is doing this, every application I use results in the same message. Forcing the WindowServer to quit doesn't do anything (other than log me out).

I am frustrated by this. Googling these issues shows many many other people have similar problems. Being a long time and loyal Apple customer, I am very disappointed........

Jul 21, 2015 4:35 PM in response to maxfarrar

Exactly the same problem here.

I am using 3 screens.

When freezing, if I unplug HDMI, I can regain control most of the time.

It never freeze with only 1 screen ( a 30 inch Dell )

I reinstalled Yosemite from scratch, same problem.

Since I have 96GB of non Apple RAM inside ( all tested and good ) Apple does not want to finish testing the machine and possibly change the D300 video card ( I don't have the original sticks anymore ). I wanted to buy the D500 or D700 but they don't let you.

I added recently another thunderbolt drive and all the ports are very busy. From what I gathered on the web, I wonder if it is not simply overheating.

Graphics never freeze when I start working, it takes a wile.

OS 10.10.4

Mac Pro late 2013 6 core 3.5 GHz

Late 2013 Mac Pro graphics problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.