Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s Video rendering Probs in FCE 4

Looking for help with video footage from iPhone 4s into Final Cut Express 4. Needs rendering before any work can be done on it and takes an hour for only an for 8 min clip. Then any small changes on timeline needs to be rendered again !. Is there any fixes for this please ? I'm operating the latest Yosemite.

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 8:37 PM

The 4s records video as MPEG4/AVC (H.264)/1080p/30fps in a .mov filetype. Final Cut Express is NOT designed to edit this kind of video. You need to convert the 4s video clips to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec/1080i before importing them into FCE. You can use MPEG Streamclip to do the conversion. In FCE you also need to select a matching Easy Setup (should be AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60 for converted 4s clips) and create a new Sequence to edit your video. This should eliminate the constant re-rendering problem.

ps. Final Cut Express was discontinued in 2011 even before OS X Lion was released. It is no longer supported by Apple and there is no guarantee it will run properly on Yosemite. Just so you know. Final Cut Pro X is the currently supported app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Perkyboy

The 4s records video as MPEG4/AVC (H.264)/1080p/30fps in a .mov filetype. Final Cut Express is NOT designed to edit this kind of video. You need to convert the 4s video clips to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec/1080i before importing them into FCE. You can use MPEG Streamclip to do the conversion. In FCE you also need to select a matching Easy Setup (should be AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60 for converted 4s clips) and create a new Sequence to edit your video. This should eliminate the constant re-rendering problem.

ps. Final Cut Express was discontinued in 2011 even before OS X Lion was released. It is no longer supported by Apple and there is no guarantee it will run properly on Yosemite. Just so you know. Final Cut Pro X is the currently supported app.

Feb 3, 2015 8:26 AM in response to MartinR

Hi Martin R

Many thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions but I can not find "QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec/1080i" in any of the drop down menus in MPEG stream clip. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here ? I think MPEG stream clip is the way forward here. FCP does seem to work OK with Yosemite. Any further help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

John

iPhone 4s Video rendering Probs in FCE 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.