Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conversion from windows

I have a load of films, word docs, etc on a portable hard drive that i created from my windows pc. I now use apple mac air. I plugged the HD into the mac and I could not play any films. The Quick Player could not convert them. The word files all had blue icons. My photo pictures could not be opened, etc.

Please advise what software I should download/use to make the conversion happen?

Many thanks in advance

Ed

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 9:16 AM

Good morning fulhamfc,

Welcome to the Support Communities! And welcome to the world of Apple! There definitely is a learning curve to switch from the Windows environment to OS X, but in my opinion it was worth the effort. I'll include some resources below to help you get started. The answers to your questions depend on what software you have installed on your Mac and what file types you have on your external hard drive.

When did you purchase your MacBook Air? It may have come with the iWork suite of software - Pages, Keynote and Numbers - which will open and work with Word, PowerPoint and Excel files respectively. Open the Mac App Store application on your computer and look for these applications in the Purchased tab.

About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6049

You can also purchase Microsoft Office for Mac if you wish to continue working with Microsoft software on your Mac.

Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 - Apple Store (U.S.)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB603LL/A/microsoft-office-for-mac-home-and-st udent-2011

Regarding your video files ... there is a free software program called Flip4Mac which will allow you to play most windows formated video files on your Mac.

Apple - QuickTime - Learn about even more QuickTime capabilities.
https://www.apple.com/au/quicktime/extending/components.html

Flip4Mac

User uploaded file

Flip4Mac WMV Components from Telestream allow QuickTime users to import, export, and play Windows Media video and audio on the Mac.

Learn more

If there is a local Apple Retail Store in your area, our One-To-One classes may be a good starting point for you.

Apple Retail Store - One to One
https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/one-to-one/

User uploaded file

The Apple Store is much more than a store. It’s also the best place to learn about your new Apple product. We offer free workshops to teach you the basics. And if you’re ready to take your skills to the next level, you can sign up for One to One training when you buy a Mac.

Here are some learning resources for you:

Mac Basics - Switching PC Habits - Apple Support
http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

Switch Basics: Moving from Windows Explorer to the Finder - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201748

Switch Basics: Moving from Windows Explorer to the Finder

Learn about the Finder and its Windows Explorer similarities.

Although it may feel like you're entering a brand new world with your Mac, you'll be happy to know that Finder has some familiar similarities to Windows Explorer. For example, you still have a desktop and windows, you still access many functions from menus, you can still use keyboard shortcuts to accomplish tasks quickly, and more.

In Windows you used Windows Explorer to manage your files. In Mac OS X, you use the Finder to manage your files. You can search for files, copy files, move files, or delete files. You can also see file server connections, inserted DVDs, and USB thumb drives.

Elements of the Mac OS X desktop and Finder, and their Windows Explorer equivalents

Here is a sample Mac desktop and Finder window (in Cover Flow view mode), labeled so we can compare it to Windows. Some of the following Mac OS X features may not be available in Windows.

User uploaded file

1. Apple () menu - Similar to the Start menu in Windows; used to access functions such as Software Update (equivalent to Windows Update), System Preferences (equivalent to Control Panel), Sleep, Log Out, and Shut Down.
  2. Menu bar - This is always at the top of your screen. It contains the Apple menu, active application menu, menu bar extras and the Spotlight icon. The Finder menu has items such as Finder Preferences, Services, and Secure Empty Trash.
  3. Finder window close, minimize and zoom buttons–just like in Windows but on the left. Note: Closing all application windows in Mac OS X does not always quit the application as it does in Windows. In Mac OS X every application menu has a Quit option that can also be invoked by using the Command-Q key combination.
  4. Finder window View buttons Equivalent to the options contained in the View menu of Windows Explorer.
    • Icon view - Similar to Windows Icons view mode, used to display the contents of your folder as a series of icons. Also you can "hover" over icons for multipage documents or QuickTime movies to get a thumb nail preview of its content.
    • List view - Similar to Windows Details view mode, used to display your folder in a spreadsheet-style manner. Each folder can be expanded by clicking on the disclosure triangle just to the left of the folder. You can easily sort by file name, date modified, and so forth. Choose Show View Options from the View menu to add / remove attribute columns. You can change the sorting from ascending order to descending order and back again by clicking on the attribute column title.
    • Column view - Used to display the hierarchy of your hard disk where each column represents a folder.
    • Cover Flow view - Used to display the contents of your folder just like the Cover Flow used in iTunes. You can see live previews of images, documents, and movies, and can thumb through documents and movies.
  5. Action Menu - Similar to right clicking an item in Windows Explorer, it will give you quick access to Finder functions for highlighted items, such as Get Info, Quick Look, Move to Trash, and Services.
  6. Item Arrangement - Similar to Group By, Stack By in Windows Explorer, it will group the items in a folder by a certain criteria, such as Name, Kind, Application, Date Last Opened, Date Added, and more.
  7. Search Field - Similar to Windows Search, start typing a word or phrase and Spotlight will search your Mac for any matches.
  8. Spotlight icon - Similar to Windows Search, click it to bring up the Spotlight search field, where you can search for anything on your Mac.
  9. Back / Forward buttons - Just like in Windows Explorer, as you move to different places in the Finder window, you can use the back button to return one step back and the forward button to go forward.
  10. Sidebar - Similar to the Task Pane in Windows Explorer, items are grouped into categories: Favorites, Shared, and Devices. The Favorites section contains quick access to your desktop, Applications, downloads, and Documents. The Shared and Devices sections display whatever is connected to your Mac, such as a hard disk, iDisk, network share points, an SD memory card, or DVDs.
  11. Cover Flow content - Shows you a live preview of your files, where you can page through a document or watch a QuickTime movie.
  12. The Finder application icon - Similar to Windows Explorer, click it to bring the Finder to the foreground or open a Finder window if none are already opened.
  13. The Dock - Similar to the Windows Taskbar, it has quick access to the Finder and your most frequently used applications, folders, and files. With a single click the application, folder, or file opens.
  14. Trash - Similar to the Recycle Bin, deleted items are kept here until you empty the Trash. You can also eject DVD's, SD memory cards, or external drives connected to your Mac by dragging them to the trash (discs will physically eject when you do this, other devices can be disconnected after doing this).

Learn more

See also: On Windows, I used to… for a matrix of Windows functions and their Mac OS X equivalent.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to... - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2514

Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to...

You may be used doing certain tasks on your Windows computer in particular ways. This lesson shows you how to accomplish the same tasks on a Mac.

In Windows, I used to... On a Mac, I can...
Right-click my mouse to access commands or perform actions in a shortcut menu.

If you're using an Apple one-button mouse, Control-click items (press and hold the Control key while you click) to access commands or perform actions in a shortcut menu. Or you can opt to use a multibutton mouse, and right-click as usual.

To enable the secondary button on a mouse: From the Apple ()menu or the Dock, choose System Preferences. Select Mouse and choose the Secondary Button from one of the Primary Button pop-up menus.

If you're using a MacBook or MacBook Pro computer's trackpad: From the Apple () menu or the Dock, choose System Preferences. Select Trackpad and select the checkbox "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click." Now you can hold two fingers on the trackpad and click to use the shortcut menu. If you selected the Clicking option, then right-click is enabled simply by tapping two fingers simultaneously onto the trackpad.

Press the Backspace key to delete or the Delete key to forward delete Press Delete key to backwards delete. For Mac portables, press the Function (fn) and Delete key to forward delete.
Use My Computer to see and access everything on my computer.

Open a Finder window, choose Computer from the Go menu. From here you can view and access all the files on your Mac.

You can also use Spotlight to quickly and accurately locate anything on your computer.

User uploaded file

Use the Start menu and the taskbar to access programs, folders, and files.

Use the Dock and Launchpad (in OS X Lion) to access applications or your favorite items.

To add aliases to your favorite items, drag and drop them to the right side of the Dock. To add your favorite applications, drag and drop them to the left side of the Dock. You can drag the icons off the Dock at any time to delete the aliases.

Use Windows Explorer to find programs, files, and folders on my computer.

Use the Finder to find applications, files, or folders on your computer.

User uploaded file

To open a new Finder window, click the Finder icon on the Dock.

Use My Computer to access content from various drives, such as a hard drive or a optical disc. See and access content on any mounted disk, mounted volume (external hard drives and flash drives), or discs (CD or DVD) by double-clicking the appropriate icon that appears in the devices list in Finder when the device or media is connected or inserted. If certain kinds of discs don't appear on the desktop as expected, choose Finder > Preferences, click the Sidebar button, and check which items should appear (under DEVICES).
Use these keys as shortcuts:
  • Shift key
  • Control key
  • Alt key
  • Windows key
  • Backspace key
Use these keys as alternatives:
  • User uploaded file Shift key
  • User uploaded file Control key
  • User uploaded file Option key
  • User uploaded file Command key
  • User uploaded file Delete key

In Windows, I also used to... On a Mac, I can...
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to terminate unresponsive programs.

Press Command-Option-Escape (Esc) to force quit unresponsive applications. Once you press these keys, select any application from the Force Quit window and click Force Quit.

You can also Force Quit by Control-clicking the item on the Dock and select Force Quit.

Click the close box to close windows.

Click the close button (the round, red one in the upper-left corner) to close windows.

User uploaded file

Click the close box to exit programs.

From the application menu, choose Quit Application name, or press Command-Q, to quit an application.

User uploaded file

Click the minimize box to minimize windows to the taskbar.

Click the minimize button (the round, yellow one in the upper-left corner) to minimize windows to the Dock. You can also use Command-M as a shortcut.

User uploaded file

Click the maximize box to maximize my window.

Click the zoom button (the round, green one in the upper-left corner) to expand your window.

User uploaded file

When you're in an application window, you can make the window full screen by clicking the full screen button in the top-right corner of the application window.

User uploaded file

Press a button to eject discs or disks.

Drag the disc, disk, or volume icon to the Trash (it turns into an Eject icon) to eject or unmount items.

Or, in the Finder window click the Eject icon next to the volume to unmount it.

User uploaded file

You can also press the Eject key on your keyboard (in the upper-right corner) to eject a CD or DVD.

Press the Control (Ctrl) key for keyboard shortcuts (such as Ctrl+C to copy). Press the Command key for keyboard shortcuts (such as Command-C to copy).
Press the Alt key as a modifier, or to type special characters. Press the Option key as a modifier, or to type special characters (such as é). You can learn more about inputting special characters here.
Perform various functions from window menus. Perform various functions from menus in the menu bar at the top of your screen. The contents of the menu bar changes, according to the current active application.

Access Properties to set application, folder, or file options. Use the Info window to set application, folder, or file options. To open an Info window, select an item and choose Get Info from the File menu (or press Command-I).
Move unwanted files and folders to the Recycle Bin.

Drag unwanted files and folders to the Trash in the Dock. To empty the Trash, choose Empty Trash from the Finder menu (or press Shift-Command-Delete in the Finder).

You can also click on the file that you would like to delete and use Command-Delete as a shortcut.

Rename documents by clicking Rename this file in the File Tasks menu.

Select any file, folder, or application and press the Enter key to display the name in a text box. Rename the item as anything you like by typing over the text.

User uploaded file

Use the Performance control panel to check system performance. Use Activity Monitor to check system performance. To open Activity Monitor in OS X Lion, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click Utilities. Then click Activity Monitor.
Make shortcuts to an item by dragging and pressing Alt or make a copy by dragging and pressing Ctrl.

To make an alias to an item, click it once and from the File menu choose Make Alias (or press Command-L). Or, drag the item and press the Command key and the Option key, a black arrow will appear, drop the item to make an alias.

To make a copy of an item, select it and from the File menu choose Duplicate (or press Command-D). Or, drag the item and press the Option key, a green Add circle will appear, drop the item to make a copy.

Store and access files in My Documents and My Pictures folders.

Store files and content in your Documents and Pictures folders.

To access your Documents and Pictures folders, open Finder and select Documents or Pictures from the favorites list of the Finder sidebar. In Finder under the favorites list, you also have folders to store your music and movies.

Use Windows Messenger to chat with buddies. Use iChat to chat with buddies. iChat allows you to chat with anyone who has an AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Yahoo, Google Talk, or me.com address. If you don't have one, you can sign up for an Apple ID for free and you can get a me.com account, go here to learn more).
Use Microsoft Photo Editor (or My Pictures) to view and edit pictures, Windows MovieMaker to edit my home movies, and Windows Media Player to listen to tunes.

Use iPhoto to view and edit pictures, iMovie to edit your home movies, and iTunes or QuickTime Player to listen to tunes.

iTunes also allows you to burn music discs, buy music and movies from the iTunes Store, and more.

Your Mac may also come with GarageBand to compose your own music and iDVD to make your own DVDs (if your Mac has a DVD burner).

Use ScreenTaker to take pictures of my screen. Use Grab or Preview to take pictures of your screen. To take a screen shot, press Command-Shift-3.

Use the Control Panel to customize various settings.

Use System Preferences to customize various settings.

User uploaded file

To open it, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock (in OS X Lion), then click System Preferences. Or click System Preferences from the Dock. Then click an item that you'd like to configure.

Use Network Connections to configure network settings.

Use Network preferences to configure (and troubleshoot) network settings.

To open Network preferences, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click System Preferences. Then click Network.

Use Printers & Faxes to set up my printer and fax tasks.

Use Print & Scan preferences to set up your printer and fax tasks.

To open Print & Scan preferences, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click System Preferences. Then click Print & Scan.

Use Device Manager to get information about my computer. Use System Information to get hardware and software information about your computer. From the Apple () menu, choose About This Mac, then click More Info.

Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Wishing you all the best ...

- Judy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Community User

Good morning fulhamfc,

Welcome to the Support Communities! And welcome to the world of Apple! There definitely is a learning curve to switch from the Windows environment to OS X, but in my opinion it was worth the effort. I'll include some resources below to help you get started. The answers to your questions depend on what software you have installed on your Mac and what file types you have on your external hard drive.

When did you purchase your MacBook Air? It may have come with the iWork suite of software - Pages, Keynote and Numbers - which will open and work with Word, PowerPoint and Excel files respectively. Open the Mac App Store application on your computer and look for these applications in the Purchased tab.

About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6049

You can also purchase Microsoft Office for Mac if you wish to continue working with Microsoft software on your Mac.

Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 - Apple Store (U.S.)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB603LL/A/microsoft-office-for-mac-home-and-st udent-2011

Regarding your video files ... there is a free software program called Flip4Mac which will allow you to play most windows formated video files on your Mac.

Apple - QuickTime - Learn about even more QuickTime capabilities.
https://www.apple.com/au/quicktime/extending/components.html

Flip4Mac

User uploaded file

Flip4Mac WMV Components from Telestream allow QuickTime users to import, export, and play Windows Media video and audio on the Mac.

Learn more

If there is a local Apple Retail Store in your area, our One-To-One classes may be a good starting point for you.

Apple Retail Store - One to One
https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/one-to-one/

User uploaded file

The Apple Store is much more than a store. It’s also the best place to learn about your new Apple product. We offer free workshops to teach you the basics. And if you’re ready to take your skills to the next level, you can sign up for One to One training when you buy a Mac.

Here are some learning resources for you:

Mac Basics - Switching PC Habits - Apple Support
http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

Switch Basics: Moving from Windows Explorer to the Finder - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201748

Switch Basics: Moving from Windows Explorer to the Finder

Learn about the Finder and its Windows Explorer similarities.

Although it may feel like you're entering a brand new world with your Mac, you'll be happy to know that Finder has some familiar similarities to Windows Explorer. For example, you still have a desktop and windows, you still access many functions from menus, you can still use keyboard shortcuts to accomplish tasks quickly, and more.

In Windows you used Windows Explorer to manage your files. In Mac OS X, you use the Finder to manage your files. You can search for files, copy files, move files, or delete files. You can also see file server connections, inserted DVDs, and USB thumb drives.

Elements of the Mac OS X desktop and Finder, and their Windows Explorer equivalents

Here is a sample Mac desktop and Finder window (in Cover Flow view mode), labeled so we can compare it to Windows. Some of the following Mac OS X features may not be available in Windows.

User uploaded file

1. Apple () menu - Similar to the Start menu in Windows; used to access functions such as Software Update (equivalent to Windows Update), System Preferences (equivalent to Control Panel), Sleep, Log Out, and Shut Down.
  2. Menu bar - This is always at the top of your screen. It contains the Apple menu, active application menu, menu bar extras and the Spotlight icon. The Finder menu has items such as Finder Preferences, Services, and Secure Empty Trash.
  3. Finder window close, minimize and zoom buttons–just like in Windows but on the left. Note: Closing all application windows in Mac OS X does not always quit the application as it does in Windows. In Mac OS X every application menu has a Quit option that can also be invoked by using the Command-Q key combination.
  4. Finder window View buttons Equivalent to the options contained in the View menu of Windows Explorer.
    • Icon view - Similar to Windows Icons view mode, used to display the contents of your folder as a series of icons. Also you can "hover" over icons for multipage documents or QuickTime movies to get a thumb nail preview of its content.
    • List view - Similar to Windows Details view mode, used to display your folder in a spreadsheet-style manner. Each folder can be expanded by clicking on the disclosure triangle just to the left of the folder. You can easily sort by file name, date modified, and so forth. Choose Show View Options from the View menu to add / remove attribute columns. You can change the sorting from ascending order to descending order and back again by clicking on the attribute column title.
    • Column view - Used to display the hierarchy of your hard disk where each column represents a folder.
    • Cover Flow view - Used to display the contents of your folder just like the Cover Flow used in iTunes. You can see live previews of images, documents, and movies, and can thumb through documents and movies.
  5. Action Menu - Similar to right clicking an item in Windows Explorer, it will give you quick access to Finder functions for highlighted items, such as Get Info, Quick Look, Move to Trash, and Services.
  6. Item Arrangement - Similar to Group By, Stack By in Windows Explorer, it will group the items in a folder by a certain criteria, such as Name, Kind, Application, Date Last Opened, Date Added, and more.
  7. Search Field - Similar to Windows Search, start typing a word or phrase and Spotlight will search your Mac for any matches.
  8. Spotlight icon - Similar to Windows Search, click it to bring up the Spotlight search field, where you can search for anything on your Mac.
  9. Back / Forward buttons - Just like in Windows Explorer, as you move to different places in the Finder window, you can use the back button to return one step back and the forward button to go forward.
  10. Sidebar - Similar to the Task Pane in Windows Explorer, items are grouped into categories: Favorites, Shared, and Devices. The Favorites section contains quick access to your desktop, Applications, downloads, and Documents. The Shared and Devices sections display whatever is connected to your Mac, such as a hard disk, iDisk, network share points, an SD memory card, or DVDs.
  11. Cover Flow content - Shows you a live preview of your files, where you can page through a document or watch a QuickTime movie.
  12. The Finder application icon - Similar to Windows Explorer, click it to bring the Finder to the foreground or open a Finder window if none are already opened.
  13. The Dock - Similar to the Windows Taskbar, it has quick access to the Finder and your most frequently used applications, folders, and files. With a single click the application, folder, or file opens.
  14. Trash - Similar to the Recycle Bin, deleted items are kept here until you empty the Trash. You can also eject DVD's, SD memory cards, or external drives connected to your Mac by dragging them to the trash (discs will physically eject when you do this, other devices can be disconnected after doing this).

Learn more

See also: On Windows, I used to… for a matrix of Windows functions and their Mac OS X equivalent.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to... - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2514

Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to...

You may be used doing certain tasks on your Windows computer in particular ways. This lesson shows you how to accomplish the same tasks on a Mac.

In Windows, I used to... On a Mac, I can...
Right-click my mouse to access commands or perform actions in a shortcut menu.

If you're using an Apple one-button mouse, Control-click items (press and hold the Control key while you click) to access commands or perform actions in a shortcut menu. Or you can opt to use a multibutton mouse, and right-click as usual.

To enable the secondary button on a mouse: From the Apple ()menu or the Dock, choose System Preferences. Select Mouse and choose the Secondary Button from one of the Primary Button pop-up menus.

If you're using a MacBook or MacBook Pro computer's trackpad: From the Apple () menu or the Dock, choose System Preferences. Select Trackpad and select the checkbox "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click." Now you can hold two fingers on the trackpad and click to use the shortcut menu. If you selected the Clicking option, then right-click is enabled simply by tapping two fingers simultaneously onto the trackpad.

Press the Backspace key to delete or the Delete key to forward delete Press Delete key to backwards delete. For Mac portables, press the Function (fn) and Delete key to forward delete.
Use My Computer to see and access everything on my computer.

Open a Finder window, choose Computer from the Go menu. From here you can view and access all the files on your Mac.

You can also use Spotlight to quickly and accurately locate anything on your computer.

User uploaded file

Use the Start menu and the taskbar to access programs, folders, and files.

Use the Dock and Launchpad (in OS X Lion) to access applications or your favorite items.

To add aliases to your favorite items, drag and drop them to the right side of the Dock. To add your favorite applications, drag and drop them to the left side of the Dock. You can drag the icons off the Dock at any time to delete the aliases.

Use Windows Explorer to find programs, files, and folders on my computer.

Use the Finder to find applications, files, or folders on your computer.

User uploaded file

To open a new Finder window, click the Finder icon on the Dock.

Use My Computer to access content from various drives, such as a hard drive or a optical disc. See and access content on any mounted disk, mounted volume (external hard drives and flash drives), or discs (CD or DVD) by double-clicking the appropriate icon that appears in the devices list in Finder when the device or media is connected or inserted. If certain kinds of discs don't appear on the desktop as expected, choose Finder > Preferences, click the Sidebar button, and check which items should appear (under DEVICES).
Use these keys as shortcuts:
  • Shift key
  • Control key
  • Alt key
  • Windows key
  • Backspace key
Use these keys as alternatives:
  • User uploaded file Shift key
  • User uploaded file Control key
  • User uploaded file Option key
  • User uploaded file Command key
  • User uploaded file Delete key

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to terminate unresponsive programs.

Press Command-Option-Escape (Esc) to force quit unresponsive applications. Once you press these keys, select any application from the Force Quit window and click Force Quit.

You can also Force Quit by Control-clicking the item on the Dock and select Force Quit.

Click the close box to close windows.

Click the close button (the round, red one in the upper-left corner) to close windows.

User uploaded file

Click the close box to exit programs.

From the application menu, choose Quit Application name, or press Command-Q, to quit an application.

User uploaded file

Click the minimize box to minimize windows to the taskbar.

Click the minimize button (the round, yellow one in the upper-left corner) to minimize windows to the Dock. You can also use Command-M as a shortcut.

User uploaded file

Click the maximize box to maximize my window.

Click the zoom button (the round, green one in the upper-left corner) to expand your window.

User uploaded file

When you're in an application window, you can make the window full screen by clicking the full screen button in the top-right corner of the application window.

User uploaded file

Press a button to eject discs or disks.

Drag the disc, disk, or volume icon to the Trash (it turns into an Eject icon) to eject or unmount items.

Or, in the Finder window click the Eject icon next to the volume to unmount it.

User uploaded file

You can also press the Eject key on your keyboard (in the upper-right corner) to eject a CD or DVD.

Press the Control (Ctrl) key for keyboard shortcuts (such as Ctrl+C to copy). Press the Command key for keyboard shortcuts (such as Command-C to copy).
Press the Alt key as a modifier, or to type special characters. Press the Option key as a modifier, or to type special characters (such as é). You can learn more about inputting special characters here.
Perform various functions from window menus. Perform various functions from menus in the menu bar at the top of your screen. The contents of the menu bar changes, according to the current active application.

Access Properties to set application, folder, or file options. Use the Info window to set application, folder, or file options. To open an Info window, select an item and choose Get Info from the File menu (or press Command-I).
Move unwanted files and folders to the Recycle Bin.

Drag unwanted files and folders to the Trash in the Dock. To empty the Trash, choose Empty Trash from the Finder menu (or press Shift-Command-Delete in the Finder).

You can also click on the file that you would like to delete and use Command-Delete as a shortcut.

Rename documents by clicking Rename this file in the File Tasks menu.

Select any file, folder, or application and press the Enter key to display the name in a text box. Rename the item as anything you like by typing over the text.

User uploaded file

Use the Performance control panel to check system performance. Use Activity Monitor to check system performance. To open Activity Monitor in OS X Lion, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click Utilities. Then click Activity Monitor.
Make shortcuts to an item by dragging and pressing Alt or make a copy by dragging and pressing Ctrl.

To make an alias to an item, click it once and from the File menu choose Make Alias (or press Command-L). Or, drag the item and press the Command key and the Option key, a black arrow will appear, drop the item to make an alias.

To make a copy of an item, select it and from the File menu choose Duplicate (or press Command-D). Or, drag the item and press the Option key, a green Add circle will appear, drop the item to make a copy.

Store and access files in My Documents and My Pictures folders.

Store files and content in your Documents and Pictures folders.

To access your Documents and Pictures folders, open Finder and select Documents or Pictures from the favorites list of the Finder sidebar. In Finder under the favorites list, you also have folders to store your music and movies.

Use Windows Messenger to chat with buddies. Use iChat to chat with buddies. iChat allows you to chat with anyone who has an AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Yahoo, Google Talk, or me.com address. If you don't have one, you can sign up for an Apple ID for free and you can get a me.com account, go here to learn more).
Use Microsoft Photo Editor (or My Pictures) to view and edit pictures, Windows MovieMaker to edit my home movies, and Windows Media Player to listen to tunes.

Use iPhoto to view and edit pictures, iMovie to edit your home movies, and iTunes or QuickTime Player to listen to tunes.

iTunes also allows you to burn music discs, buy music and movies from the iTunes Store, and more.

Your Mac may also come with GarageBand to compose your own music and iDVD to make your own DVDs (if your Mac has a DVD burner).

Use ScreenTaker to take pictures of my screen. Use Grab or Preview to take pictures of your screen. To take a screen shot, press Command-Shift-3.

Use the Control Panel to customize various settings.

Use System Preferences to customize various settings.

User uploaded file

To open it, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock (in OS X Lion), then click System Preferences. Or click System Preferences from the Dock. Then click an item that you'd like to configure.

Use Network Connections to configure network settings.

Use Network preferences to configure (and troubleshoot) network settings.

To open Network preferences, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click System Preferences. Then click Network.

Use Printers & Faxes to set up my printer and fax tasks.

Use Print & Scan preferences to set up your printer and fax tasks.

To open Print & Scan preferences, click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, and click System Preferences. Then click Print & Scan.

Use Device Manager to get information about my computer. Use System Information to get hardware and software information about your computer. From the Apple () menu, choose About This Mac, then click More Info.

Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Wishing you all the best ...

- Judy

Conversion from windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.