Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on iMac won't send SMS messages, just iMessages

I've read multiple posts here and followed many steps, but still seem to be having issues in using Messages on my iMac to send a message via my iPhone 4S as an SMS if receiver is not registered with iMessages.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), All software Updates applied

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 12:26 AM

20 replies

May 3, 2017 8:24 AM in response to MEW77

From the article below. See the 3rd bullet.

Set up Handoff

Use Handoff with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch that meets the Continuity system requirements. Handoff works when your devices are near each other and set up as follows:

• Each device is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
    To see the Apple ID used by Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then go to General > Apple ID.
  • Each device has Bluetooth turned on.
  • Each Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has Wi-Fi turned on.
  • Each device has Handoff turned on:
    • On Mac, choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click General. Select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
    • On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > Handoff, then turn on Handoff.
    • On Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap General and turn on Enable Handoff.
      Apple Watch supports handing off from watch to iPhone only.

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2017 12:36 PM in response to zjeremiah

Hi,

Check on the iPhone that the iPhone Number says it is active. (it should be unchangeable by the User but it can get unticked).

Check Send SMS is an On option.

Make sure both are on the same LAN.

If the LAN is in different sections such as having two routers then make sure both are in the same subnet.

User uploaded file

7:35 pm Wednesday; March 15, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

May 3, 2017 12:12 PM in response to MEW77

Hi,

If they are using two routers, one for WiFi and one for an Ethernet LAN then the iPhone and Mac may not be in the same Subnet of the LAN as a whole.

Most domestic routers tend to do both with four Ethernet Ports and the ability to WiFi as well creating one overarching LAN.

Other set up may set up WiFi access via a separate router.

The iPhone and Mac need to be on the same LAN and on the same Subnet if there are more than one part to it.

User uploaded file

8:12 pm Wednesday; May 3, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 7, 2017 12:36 PM in response to Kirani3

HI,

Blue Tooth is not needed for Messages linking to an iPhone for iMessages or Test (SMS) forwarding although the actual pairing process for Text Forwarding does look similar.

Blue Tooth is needed for Handoff and Continuity but that does depend on the abilities of your Mac.

My Mid 2011 iMac 21" cannot do Handoff/Conitinuity.

There are also limits the the Blue Tooth pairing for Mac to Phone where file sharing can be difficult.

User uploaded file

8:36 pm Friday; July 7, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 15, 2017 7:22 AM in response to TurkeyBaster

I still have this issue, I've been trying to fix it for months now. And nothing seems to work. I use the same apple id on my phone and on my macbook pro 10.12.3 Sierra. I'm on a iphone 6+ with current software. I've signed out, added and removed text forwarding devices over and over. It never asks for a code on my mac. I cannot send any sms or regular text messages (imessage kind of works, though I cannot see what I send from other devices). I've basically given up on getting it to work correctly at this point. 😟

It did work at one point for me, but I don't know what changed to break things, as it's been so long since it worked.

May 3, 2017 6:48 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I am jumping into this thread to ask a follow up question. I am having sporadic problems with my ability to send SMS texts to Android users from Apple Messages on my iMac at work as well. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the failures - e.g., one message will go through, I will get a reply and then my second message right after that won't make it through.

My iMac is on a wired Network, while my iPhone is on the wireless network at work. I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem and what I can ask my IT support people as a follow up?

Jul 5, 2017 8:26 PM in response to MEW77

I had this problem for a week now, it's always worked before until.. not sure now what I did. Maybe it was that I turned 'Handsoff' - OFF and then 'ON' again - with/on both devices. I have a iPhone 6s and iMac Late 2013 edition. it now seems to be working... However the odd thing is. For some reason my Bluetooth on the phone will not connect to the iMac.. I had originally thought that was the reason iMessages was not working with Message forwarding. But... now I am confused.

Feb 2, 2015 2:25 AM in response to TurkeyBaster

The latest is OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite.

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Feb 2, 2015 3:25 PM in response to ckuan

I've updated to 10.10.2 and done the above steps. When I went to check it all again, I found that I had to re-do the step about forwarding on my phone, which I'd already done yesterday. How often do I need to check/re-do this step ? Every time I re-boot something ? I assumed it would save those preferences. It is now working, so thanks ;-)

Messages on iMac won't send SMS messages, just iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.