Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s - screen / display with green borders

Hi,

My iPhone 5s is developing a greenish border around the screen, letting the centre looking pink. I've been in Apple Store and because it is out of warranty they asked around 100 pounds to change the screen. I believe that it is a product issue, an "occult issue" that it should be sorted out even out of warranty (as the screen is getting their borders greener and greener). There is an image below (it is difficult to show it with the iPad camera, I'll try with my DSLR later.)

Do anyone had this issue too? I read that under European Consumer laws they have to change it ("statutory warranty rights") can anyone confirm it? Anyone has sorted it out?

Any helpful advise is welcome.

All the best,

Frank

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2017 10:57 AM

Mine too, my 5c.

I've had mine for almost 4 years. Green boarder around screen isn't noticeable unless it's locked.

It's been like this for years and haven't had any function problems with it.

As most of you probably found out by now, there's not a fix but there isn't really a problem either--it just looks a little crappy.

....This many years later and it's time for an upgrade anyway.

From my experience: if you see the green... it doesn't matter. You don't have to call the apple doctors.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2017 10:57 AM in response to fjmrf

Mine too, my 5c.

I've had mine for almost 4 years. Green boarder around screen isn't noticeable unless it's locked.

It's been like this for years and haven't had any function problems with it.

As most of you probably found out by now, there's not a fix but there isn't really a problem either--it just looks a little crappy.

....This many years later and it's time for an upgrade anyway.

From my experience: if you see the green... it doesn't matter. You don't have to call the apple doctors.

Feb 2, 2015 8:32 PM in response to fjmrf

Hi Frank, I am also facing this problem with the display. Brought it in to the service center but was told to lodge online with Apple support. As mine is just over warranty by a month, Apple support online just blocked off the access. Called the support line, and they again directed me to visit the service center to lodge the complaint. Are they trying to take me for a ride, I don't know.

Our problems are definitely hardware issues and Apple are liable for it. The problem is how to get access to Apple? They will not entertain products that are out of warranty. I would not have bothered if it's an old set, but just a month after 1yr?! Definitely I will not buy another Apple again if no proper solution is provided from them...having said that, my wife just got her new i6+ 2 weeks ago 😟. Let's hope there is a solution from anyone on this community. In fact I've sent in a report here yesterday, but no replies from any Apple staff.

User uploaded file

Feb 3, 2015 9:56 AM in response to mkow22

The consumer legislation in Brazil foresee this kind of issue, is called "hidden issue" in a free translation, and it does not matter if the product is out of warranty, you have 60 days to complain when the defect appears (as it is not visible / noticeable during the warranty period). This case is exactly what they aim to sort.

This issue is not apparent when the mobile is new, but starts to get worst and worst with time. It is clearly a problem with the material used to do the backlight reflector or lights. The iPhone is sold as having colour fidelity and this defect make the colour reproduction inaccurate.

Apple should change the screen of phones with this issue free of charge, as one of the sales arguments is clearly not true anymore after sometime, and a phone can't have a product life of only an year. The consumer can't foresee this issue when buying the phone. We believe that when we buy the phone it will last few years at least. My phone is in exceptional shape, apart from the screen the it looks as a cheap phone.

We can't accept to pay a premium price and have issues of cheap products.

Thanks for the reply, lets see if we have luck to have it sorted as it should.

Iphone 5s - screen / display with green borders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.