Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost the ability to reflect from my iOS 8.1.1 iPad via AirPlay to my Promethean board. HELP!

We lost the ability to reflect video and audio from our iOS 8.1.1 iPads, using AirPlay, to our Promethean brand whiteboards. This capabilty left us for no apparent reason. I know how to troubleshoot this type of situation (http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS4215), but nothing works. HELP!!! This is an urgent prplem for our classroom instructors. Thanks in advance.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 10:06 AM

14 replies

Feb 2, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for your reply. Our loss of mirroring capability occurred while still using iOS 8.1.1, it wasn't following an iOS upgrade. There was no "trigger", so to speak, that I know of that could have caused our problem.

Would upgrading the iPads we use to iOS 8.1.3 fix this problem we're having?

We have tried upgrading the Apple TV software, turning the Apple TV unit off/waiting 30 seconds/turning it back on, and tried various Apple TV resolutions in our efforts to fix the problem. Nothing has worked however.

Feb 2, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Technician7

Is there a reason not to update the software, I'm aware that's a possibility in some school set ups. I was wondering though whether the problem started after an update and since it hasn't and it has happened on multiple devices, it seems the network might be the first place to look.

Below is my standard boilerplate response for AirPlay issues, have you tried the ones that relate to the network.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

Feb 2, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated. This afternoon, I updated the iPad I was using to iOS 8.1.3 and I WAS then able to reflect video from the ipad via Apple TV to the Promethean whiteboard. I still don't have audio, but I will keep working on that. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips you listed above.

I should add that I had earlier said the iPad i was using was iOS 8.1.1; it actually was iOS 8.1.2 - my mistake. The instructors i talked to hadn't mirrored ipad input to their whiteboards since before Christmas, at which time I think they were using iOS 8.1.1. Since that time I had updated most, if not all, of the ipads to 8.1.2. maybe the 8.1.1 > 8.1.2 update caused problems that the 8.1.2 > 8.1.3 update at least partially fixed (the video part).

Feb 3, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Technician7

Mr. Churchill:

I just now restarted the network. After waiting awhile, I was able to mirror video successfully. Unfortunately, I still can't mirror audio. ATherefore I have tried all 6 of your recommendations. I am, as indicated earlier, thinking that the problems may be related to the iOS 8.1.1 to 8.1.2 update that I did on the iPads. It appears that the 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 "brought back" video. Any further suggestions would be really appreciated! Thanks for your assistance.

Feb 3, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Technician7

Is it possible that the audio is a problem in itself, have you tried adjusting the audio output on the Apple TV, try turning off dolby digital and do you happen to know what format the audio is in in the files you are using. Also have you tried both basic airplay and mirroring (depending on what you are viewing).

I couldn't rule out that the software update is related somewhere along the line, but it's not an issue per se with the software, AirPlay works just fine for me here.

Feb 3, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The idea of the audio issue being a seperate problem sounded like a good idea. I turned Dolby Digital off and found that it didn't help.

A bit later, the 3rd grade instructor said she DID get video OR audio. not both simultaneously, to reflect later yesterday. That tends to tell me that it isn't a video only problem.

Again, any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Where I run into problems is I am a former Netware 6.1 and Windows Server 2000 administrator (with limited Cisco router experience), whose Apple experience was basically limited to Mac client connectivity. I was out of IT work for some time (2003-2013); when I returned, I had to teach myself Open Directory, update myself in Active Directory, get semiskilled with Wi-Fi, and learn to use "gadgets" like iPads. In addition I taught myself to use Apple Configurator/VPP. I always have to ask myself if my relatively minimal Apple product experience is a negative factor when working with Apple products. I do think my basic network knowledge is solid enough. This is why I appreciate any help I can get with Apple products.

Feb 3, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Technician7

I think you probably know more than I do about various things, at the end of the day I'm a building surveyor and property manager, I've never used configurator and wouldn't know where to start. I don't know whether you would be allowed to but I'd be inclined to borrow an Apple TV and iPad that you are having trouble with and try using them on another network.

I lost the ability to reflect from my iOS 8.1.1 iPad via AirPlay to my Promethean board. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.