Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting error message WIFI: no wifi installed

My wifi was working fine until I stepped out to shovel the drive. I came back and the computer seemed unresponsive so I restarted and found that the WIFI would not connect. The icon in the upper right indicates that there is "no wifi installed". Has my card failed or is it a software issue? Any way to check? Thank-you.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 10:20 AM

13 replies

Feb 2, 2015 12:21 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for your response. No power outages today but a day ago the computer did lose power while I was using it.

When using System preferences>networks>wifi>advanced>hardware it proceeds to close the network panel and I get an error message that says 'There was an error in network preferences'.

When I use About This Mac>System Report...>Network>Wifi I have this...

Software versions:

CoreWLan: 5.0(500.35.2)

CoreWLANKit: 4.1 (410.37)

Menu Extra: 10.0 (1000.33.2)

System Information: 9.0 (900.9)

IO80211 Family: 7.1 (710.55)

Diagnostics: 4.1 (410,69)

Airport Utility: 6.3.4 (634.17)

Is this what I should be seeing?

Thanks again for any help.

Software Versions:

CoreWL

Feb 2, 2015 2:48 PM in response to vushnick

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Any change?

Feb 2, 2015 3:25 PM in response to vushnick

Gulp... if it doesn't show a choice to add Wifi under the tiny + icon, I think since it shows in System Report, it could be a SW problem.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Feb 3, 2015 4:19 AM in response to vushnick

OK. New day new something. Although I did restart the computer a few times yesterday, zapped the PRAM nothing seemed to fix the WIFI problem. This morning I booted the computer after it had been shut down all night and the WIFI is working. Does this mean that the WIFI is slowly failing and if so, is this something I can replace myself? Thanks.

Feb 5, 2015 6:28 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD. Thanks for your help with this. For my WIFI seems to be working fine (although I am hard-wired as well for the moment). I've tested the temperatures against a list of temperatures I found on the internet. It seems to fall within those limits but I have blown out the dust anyway. I guess if I have further issues I'll hop back on here to see if we can figure anything else out. Perhaps by that time the card will be kaput!

Getting error message WIFI: no wifi installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.