Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat & Hotmail

how do i set up iChat to access hotmail accounts and so that when i add a person, i just type "JohnDoe2@hotmail(/msn).com?

Imac intel core duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 7, 2006 6:58 PM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2006 9:18 AM in response to dreamz, not fiction

For video your options are:

iChatAV to iChatAV, to AIM 5.9 (PC) or Trillian (PC) (Audio and Video)

Yahoo Beta (Mac) to Yahoo (MAC) (PC) Video, no audio

aMSN (Mac)to aMSN (Mac) or aMSN (Mac) to MSN (PC) Video only, no Audio

Mercury (Mac) to Mercury (Mac) or Mercury (Mac) to MSN (PC) Video Only, no Audio

Skype Beta (Mac) to Skype Beta (Mac) or Skype Beta to Skype (PC) (Audio & Video)

MSN (Mac) and Adium (Mac) do not support Video or Audio

Most of the above programs can be found at http://www.versiontracker.com

I hope this is what you were looking for!

Oct 8, 2006 1:00 PM in response to dreamz, not fiction

Also look at the first three links on this page http://www.ralphjohnsuk.dsl.pipex.com/page5.html

The first tells you how to set upop a Jabber screen name to use the Jabber side of iChat.
The next tells you how to arrange what aree called Transports to connect to other services like MSN.

The third link is need before you commence the stuff in links one and two as it is a list of the Jabber servers and their Capabilities which are needed to identify which servers have which transports.

Having said all of that this only allows you to Text chat to these other services/Buddies this way.

Rj's list of other MSN compatible apps seems the way to go for Video and Audio chats.

User uploaded file

8:59 PM Sunday; October 8, 2006

Nov 1, 2006 3:09 AM in response to Jetbooya

Hi,

Yes of sorts.

AIM is the Instant Message app from AOL.

iChat is Apple's AIM client.
AIM screen names work in iChat as do @mac.com names because of the deal Apple did with AIM to allow the @mac.com names to be recognised as Screen names.

As already mentioned iChat can Vidoe chat (or Audio chat) to the AIM 5.9 version from AIM. They now call this version "Classic"

User uploaded file

11:09 AM Wednesday; November 1, 2006

iChat & Hotmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.