Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay not working after 8.1.3 update

I went to Rite Aid and Nugget grocery store where they normally take my Apple Pay payment. Last week I upgraded to 8.1.3 and now my Apple Pay does not work at those locations. I thought it may have been just a problem with Rite Aid, so instead I paid with my credit card. Then 10 minutes later I was at Nugget and my Apple Pay did not work there either. Only thing that has significantly changed on my phone is the latest 8.1.3 update.

Needless to say it was an embarrassing situation, when both times the clerk asked for a different type of payment from me.

Anyone else having problems with Apple Pay and BofA after the 8.1.3 update?

Thanks,

Rolando

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 10:58 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2015 12:32 PM in response to RoarinRow

I don't know about Nugget, but RiteAid is part of a retail group that opposes Apple Pay because they plan to launch their own competing service called CurrentC, which will not use the NFC sensor that come with newer credit card machines to support mobile phone payments. After RiteAid (CVS as well) noticed customers using Apple Pay, they deliberately disabled the NFC sensors on their credit card machines. This affects Android phones using Google Wallet as well.

Feb 9, 2015 9:01 AM in response to sberman

As it turns out it was not a problem with my phone but rather the way the clerk preps my payment. I am guessing by default or what have you, then payment console was expecting a debit card purchase. The clerk changed it to credit, then I used Apple Pay and it went through fine. This was at Nugget Grocery where I had trouble the last time. So looks like, depending on the store, I have to indicate that it's a credit payment if they are having any problems taking the payment.

Apple Pay not working after 8.1.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.