Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do Disk Permission Repairs not hold with Disk Utility in OS X Yosemite?

Hello,

For the past couple of weeks I have been battling this issue. I have noticed that when trying to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility, the repairs do not seem to hold. Time and time again I can run a repair and I am noticing that the same folders are coming up in the repair history, each time Disk Utlity claims to repair each error. However, when the utility is run again right after the previous repair session, the same directories show up with errors which again, Disk Utility claims to have fixed.

I will note that this is a late 2011 MBP and was as such upgraded into Yosemite (which in of itself has been causing major performance slow downs). I have done the usual - Rest the SMC, reset the PRAM, performed a Safe Mood boot up, and even did a reinstall of Yosemite just to see if it would catch any errors created during the original instillation process. Thnrough my efforts I have made some stability and performance improvements to my system, however, this disk permissions issue continues to bug me. As a last resort I was going to disable Filevault, reboot, try a disrepair, and re-enable Filevault to see if that clears up this issue.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 2:05 PM

I will also note I just ran another repair and came across tthis at the bottom of the session log:

Warning: SUID file: "System/Library/CoreServices/Remote Management/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I find this curious as this does not show up in any of the previous logs. Guidance on this?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2015 2:05 PM in response to innov8ional

I will also note I just ran another repair and came across tthis at the bottom of the session log:

Warning: SUID file: "System/Library/CoreServices/Remote Management/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I find this curious as this does not show up in any of the previous logs. Guidance on this?

Feb 2, 2015 2:43 PM in response to innov8ional

They are all in the same category. Ignore them. If you want them to disappear, then erase your hard drive, re-download the Yosemite installer and install Yosemite from scratch:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Repair permissions after the installation is completed. Disk Utility will present a list of files repaired. Then run it a second time. Should then be free of corrections.

Why do Disk Permission Repairs not hold with Disk Utility in OS X Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.