Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I forget a hotel wifi network?

I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with apple support and they were not able to help me. I hope someone here can help me with this.

On a macbook pro w/Yosemite

I am logged into a hotels wifi. It is the type of thing where you ling to the network, they forward yo to a web page, you accept their user agreement, select their free basic or select to pay for higher speed. Upon selecting the basic internet, you enter the code the hotel gave you and you are signed in. Any subsequent times to select their wifi or auto select, you are automatically logged in. This is what I did.

Well, the hotel basic is incredibly slow so I want to change and pay for higher speed internet. The issue is I can't get rid of the automatic login to basic. I did the following, some before, during, and after the apple support call:

Network preferences - advanced - forget network

erased all keychain saved passwords an keys

deleted all saved wifi networks

deleted web history

deleted cache

deleted cookies

deleted several other things as directed by support

emptied recycle bin

emptied secure recycle bin

restarted after each.

There is literally no saved settings or passwords left. I go to select the network, select it, it automatically logs me in to basic. Why does it not just go to the web page if all is deleted?

Apple support gave up and said it was the hotels issue (have you tried talking to the hotel desk staff about something like this?). I asked the hotel if they could reset the code, they said no. It expires in 30 days.

Same thing also happens on my iPhone and iPad.

It seems that their server is remembering my addresses and automatically signing in. How can I stop this?

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 2:39 PM

7 replies

Feb 2, 2015 2:57 PM in response to captj444

"if they could reset the code, they said no. It expires in 30 days.": If they can't reset the code, then the problem comes from the hotel (network provider) server identifying your devices using the ip or MAC adresses... You tried everything you could do from the device's point of view, so as Apple Support stated, it is the hotel's issue.

Apr 18, 2015 12:12 PM in response to captj444

I assume other people also have this problem so I wanted to share my solution in case it helps.

This may only be the case in my hotel - but if you log onto wifi on your phone / other device and select the high speed internet - this will upgrade your computer as well (to high speed internet, because you're upgrading your room wifi). If you've already logged in on your phone, you could ask the front desk or someone else to log onto your room through the wifi (select high speed option) through their phone and that will do the same thing.

This saved me a lot so hope it helps you too!

Oct 2, 2015 11:34 PM in response to Lanny

You just need to change your MAC address of machine.

Step 1: Generate random mac address

openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..\)/\1:/g; s/.$//'

Step 2: sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx( replace xx with result from above command)

Step 3: ifconfig en0 |grep ether ( Confirm if mac address was changed)

Use en1 in place of en0 depending on connector you are using. Make sure to disconnect wifi before changing mac address of machine.

It WORKS! You must see new wifi address.

User uploaded file

How can I forget a hotel wifi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.