Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This accessory may not be supported.

Subject message appears on my iPhone now and then while it is plugged in via USB to my computer. I tap "Dismiss" and it goes away, but it'll return soon after I replug it in, and at other times. My iPhone makes a "ding" each time it appears, as though it were important. iTunes launched or not, makes no difference.

My iPhone otherwise seems OK. Syncs, charges fine.

What, do you suppose, it means?

--Gil

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3, MacOS 10.6.8, iTunes 11.4 (18)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2015 2:14 PM

Greetings Gil Dawson,

It seems you are getting an alert repeatedly on your iPhone. To help you resolve this I have linked to an article which contains helpful information about the alert you mentioned. While the article is meant for device with charing issues, it does offer some tips that are relevant to you:

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you see an alert

When you plug in your device, you might see one of these alerts:

• “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.”
  • “This accessory is not supported by this device.”

If you see one of these alerts, unplug your device try and these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris, then reconnect the USB cable.
  2. If you still see an alert, try a different USB cable or charger.

Get more help

If your device still doesn't charge or you still see an alert after trying the steps above, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Bobby_D

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Gil Dawson

Greetings Gil Dawson,

It seems you are getting an alert repeatedly on your iPhone. To help you resolve this I have linked to an article which contains helpful information about the alert you mentioned. While the article is meant for device with charing issues, it does offer some tips that are relevant to you:

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you see an alert

When you plug in your device, you might see one of these alerts:

• “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.”
  • “This accessory is not supported by this device.”

If you see one of these alerts, unplug your device try and these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris, then reconnect the USB cable.
  2. If you still see an alert, try a different USB cable or charger.

Get more help

If your device still doesn't charge or you still see an alert after trying the steps above, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Bobby_D

Jun 8, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Gil Dawson

I have the same problem, and it occurs with all combinations of charging possibilities (Apple supplied vs. aftermarket, different power supplies, USB, etc.), and the phone does not charge when the error is dismissed and the phone left connected. I have replaced the charging port and battery in the phone, but the problem persists. However, when the phone is nearly discharged, ALL of the charging possibilities work, and will completely charge the phone. But once it's nearly charged, removing the plug and reinserting it produces the "may not be supported" error. Very puzzling!

Jun 8, 2015 12:07 PM in response to JD4JC

Now that it's been opened by an unauthorized party, it's completely unsupportable. Sorry. Find a competent 3rd party repair shop or just buy a new phone. Apple won't touch that one any more.

FWIW to anyone who happens to be reading this. I recently started getting this error quite frequently, but only when I was in the car and, oddly, only in the afternoon on the drive home.

I finally narrowed it down to a faulty USB charging device. Seems in the morning, when it was cool, it would work fine. At least long enough to get me to work without noticing. By the time Miller Time ® rolled around, the temperature was high enough to cause it to malfunction. After going through multiple cables thinking the one I had might be bad, and having not experienced the error when charging at night on the nightstand or when connected to my Mac, I bought a new car charger. Works like a charm now.

Jun 8, 2015 4:46 PM in response to KiltedTim

Again today, I tried every conceivable combination of charging possibilities: Mac to phone with USB (tried three connecting cables, all Apple), car 12V to usb, Apple cables plus one aftermarket; three Apple and two aftermarket transformers with all of these cables. Still same message. Until the battery power reserve dipped below 12%:Now (as usual), EVERYTHING works to charge the iPhone 5s. Maybe the new iOS will solve the problem?

"Apple won't touch that one any more" is no biggie. we're 250 miles from the nearest Apple store and they want $30 to talk to me on the phone; It's out of warranty since December; and I can't do without it for the time needed to turnaround to send back to Apple in any event!

Jun 8, 2015 6:40 PM in response to JD4JC

I'm fairly sure that the problem is in your computer, not your iPhone. Your computer's USB port can't supply quite enough power to charge your iPhone. It can sync, but not charge. If your iPhone is nearly drained, then your computer can eke out enough power to charge it a little bit; enough to sync with, anyway.

To fix, charge your iPhone from a separate USB wall-wart and it'll charge fine. Then:

• To sync with iTunes, turn on Wi-Fi syncing.
  • To sync with iPhoto, plug your iPhone back into your computer's USB port temporarily. It won't charge, but it'll sync.

Alternatively, I have heard that you can avoid the replugging for iPhoto if you get yourself a POWERED USB Hub (with sufficient power; they vary) and plug both your computer and your iPhone into it. I haven't tried that yet.

--Gil

This accessory may not be supported.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.