Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp says my Win8.1 ISO is pre-Win7

I'm attempting to install Win8.1 on my fall 2013 Macbook Pro. I have a 64-bit Windows 8.1 with update (as it was called on the site) .ISO downloaded from my school's Dreamspark account. When I open up Bootcamp Assistant, I check all the boxes and hit Continue. On the next page, I select the .ISO sitting on my desktop, but I get an error message: "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation." Obviously Win8.1 is later than Win7, so I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Anyone else have this issue?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 2:32 PM

4 replies

Feb 2, 2015 3:56 PM in response to kandt01

Bootcamp Assistant checks the signatures on the ISO to match with what it knows is allowed. If the signatures do not match, you will get the error message displayed. M$ has many variants of the ISOs, so you need to ensure that BCA can use what you have.

Please see Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?

Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows. Depending on your Mac, you may be able to use an earlier version of Boot Camp to work with other versions of Windows. For details, see the Boot Camp system requirements for Microsoft Windows.

Bootcamp says my Win8.1 ISO is pre-Win7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.