Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to add artwork to movies in iTunes 12.1 update

Prior to the latest update in iTunes I was able to add movie artwork by holding down the option key while right clicking Get Info. The new update (12.1.0.50) prevents you from doing that. How can I get around this and add artwork to my movie files? I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 4:49 PM

15 replies

Feb 5, 2015 6:45 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe,

That is exactly what I have been doing, however the artwork is only saved if artwork is added for multiple files at once. When attempting to add artwork to, say a movie, or television episode, the artwork is not saved using the usual method.. the one described in your link. This bug in this and the last iTunes release was able to be worked around by using Option + Get Info for the old Get Info window to add file metadata. Unfortunately, with the latest release it seems to be gone forever. The new window is not yet fully functional for artwork when adding to a single file.. only when working multiple files.

If you know of a workaround to gain access to the old Get Info window, which did work, I would be grateful to know it.

Best regards,

F.

Feb 5, 2015 6:53 AM in response to frogness

12.1 disabled the workaround to the old Get Info window.

The article to which you were pointed hasn't been updated since 12.1 came out.

Read this: Problems pasting artwork to tracks in iTunes 12 - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6800313?answerId=27558334022#27558334022 - 01/2015 post by ed2345 "The problem is not the JPEG. The problem is that iTunes 12 broke the Paste process. Save the JPEG as a file. Then Get Info, and on the Artwork tab click the Add Artwork button. That lets you navigate to the file."

Some people are resorting to third party solutions: Tip for iTunes12.1: This $2 script emulates the old style "Get Info" presentation - http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=multiitemedit

Feb 5, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks to everyone replying to this bug in iTunes 12.1

Limnos, I have attempted to save the JPEG as a file then Get Info and click Add Artwork button and it still does not work. Frogness is correct the only way that we were able to do it in 12.0 was to hold down the option key while clicking Get Info. 12.1 has now disabled opening up that old dialog box. Interestedly, there isn't an issue with adding artwork for music files but to add artwork for movies or tv shows you see the image for a brief second and then it vanishes. There must be something Apple can do to fix this. It is very annoying. There are third party apps - I downloaded MetaMovie from the App Store and it is able to add the artwork to movies. So far so good with that app. Yet, I'm aggravated that I had to purchase an app to do something I used to be able to do by myself. The only other thing I am curious about is whether the fact that I store all my iTunes media files (music, movies, tv shows) on a NAS drive has an affect on adding the artwork to my movie or tv show files…yet there was no problem before with iTunes 11 and then the option key procedure with 12.0.

Another question I have is whether the fact that I am still running on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and not Yosemite plays a factor into all of this. If anyone has any insight into this I would be curious to hear it.

Mar 14, 2015 8:25 PM in response to trunkenboldz

Hi Trunkenboldz,

thank you for your solution. I have a 10 year old with Down Syndrome who cannot read and needs the artwork to know what movie he is choosing. I spent ages ripping all his movies to the computer and adding artwork for him...I think Apple just want us to buy movies from them...always about money unfortunately.

Thanks Again

Kathleen

Mar 26, 2015 9:32 PM in response to jmac7WR

Ok I found a work around that WORKED!!!!

First I am running iTunes 12.1.0.50 on an external drive connected via my Airport to my computer on Mavericks 12.9.5

This is what I did:

1. Add an extra "dummy" movie

2. Select the movie I want and the "dummy" movie, then "Get Info" (click "Ok" if you have the editing multiple items warning pop up)

3. Select Artwork tab, the click button "Add Artwork", Navigate to file location desired artwork, and click ok

4. Click "OK" on "Get Info" box and Wait.

5. Wait, and Wait some more. took like 10+ min to process (the whole time iTunes had the spinning circle)

6. THE ARTWORK FINALLY APPEARS!!!

Note: First attempt the art work was on the computer hard drive while the iTunes library is on an external. Took 10-15 min to process.

Second attempt, I created a folder (outside of the iTunes folder) on external and placed needed artwork files there

Then did steps 1-6, navigating to the artwork file on the same external drive as my library,

The finally process was MUCH Faster, like took 5 min instead of 10-15min.

Both Methods were successful.

I hope this helps everyone out till apple fixes this issue.

Oct 21, 2015 7:49 AM in response to jmac7WR

I'm still finding this to be an issue, and I always keep my programs up to date. In order to work around it here is what I do:

Turn off Copy Files to iTunes Media folder in preferences.

Keep the movie file on the computer's hard drive

Drag the movie into iTunes

Edit the info, adding artwork, director, et al

Click OK to save the info

In iTunes, go to File -> Library -> Organize Library

Click the Consolidate Files check box

Click Ok

Wait for iTunes to copy the movie file onto my external drive

Delete original file from the computer's hard drive

It's annoying, but it works.

Apr 26, 2016 7:52 PM in response to trunkenboldz

same results (or lack therein) were the norm after updating to iTunes 12, but this solution works for me.

-- select the movie/tv show

-- Get Info

-- select the Artwork tab

-- Paste the artwork from the clipboard (you DID copy an image into the clipboard, right? lol) ...

-- the artwork then appears. done.

Note: NO border or box appears when you first open the Artwork tab, but the Edit menu has the Paste feature active.

Unable to add artwork to movies in iTunes 12.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.