Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AE and Computer- Audio dropping out and stuttering issues

Hi all,

I recently bought an Airport Express 2 weeks ago. I hooked the unit up in my bedroom via ethernet(roaming) method. I use Airplay and turn on Computer and Airport Express to play both in my living room and my bedroom at the same time. Problem is I'm noticing my iTunes in my living room exhibits some stuttering during songs or the audio will start to drop out intermittently and sometimes shuts off completely but the Airport Express is still playing in my bedroom without issue. I've tried turing off the wireless but it doesn't do anything. When I turn off AE in Airplay and just play using the Computer it works fine. I'm not sure what can be causing the interference but it seems its between my computer and AE when they are both turned on. I would appreciate any suggestions forum members have to help me resolve this issue. I have the 2nd generation AE. Thanks a lot.

Macthemini

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 8:14 PM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2015 6:50 AM in response to Macthemini

Hi Macthemini,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are experiencing issues with AirPlay between iTunes on a Mac mini and your AirPort Express. The following resource outlines troubleshooting issues for AirPlay performance:

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203822

Troubleshooting performance issues

Wi-Fi Connection

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your AirPlay-enabled device.

• Ensure that other devices aren't trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

- Matt M.

Feb 10, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Matt_M.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response to my question. Since I have my AE setup via a roaming network and use ethernet to stream music from iTunes to my computer and bedroom I thought it would've been a more stable connection. Again its not as it seems my computer is the one that is having the issue with audio lags, dropouts etc which is very annoying and frustrating. I have my Wi-Fi turned off. I'm not really sure what it can be that's causing this problem. Can you provide any other information via the ethernet connection as this is how it is hooked up. Any tests I can do to ensure it is the AE that's causing the issue? When I do just play it on my computer (without using AE to play in my bedroom at the same time) it works fine. So this is why I am stumped. Thanks in advance.

Macthemini

Feb 11, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Macthemini

Hey Macthemini,

Thanks for the follow up and clarification of your issue. If you have exhausted all of the applicable steps in the troubleshooting article I provided, it may be best to have someone look into this in a more personalized support environment by using another one of Apple’s support channels. To get started with that process, you can visit https://getsupport.apple.com/

- Matt M.

Feb 15, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Matt_M.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link. I went to the link however there is nothing there related to AE support. Do you have a link that I can go access so I can get AE support and look into my issue. At this point I may see if Apple will reimburse me my money back as this doesn't seem to be working out as well as I thought. It seemed like a great idea at the time but the intermittent drop outs, audio lags on my computer is not what I expected from an Apple product. I'm sort of disappointed at this point. Anyways, any link you can provide I'll be willing to try and see if they can resolve my issue. Thanks.

Macthemini

AE and Computer- Audio dropping out and stuttering issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.