Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not syncing documents to icloud

I have just joined iCloud but none of my previous documents on my iMac book have synced to iCloud. Do i need to individually upload each document to iCloud...or is there something i need to do so they will automatically do so anyway. ??

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 12:09 AM

1 reply

Feb 5, 2015 7:23 AM in response to smitties09

Hey There smitties09,

When you signed up for iCloud, did you enable the iCloud Drive feature? If so, the resources below will explain how to manage your documents.

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104

iCloud Drive FAQ

With iCloud Drive, you can safely store all your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and any other kind of document in iCloud. Documents you store in iCloud Drive will be kept up to date across all of your devices, and you can access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.

Here's what you can do with iCloud Drive:

• Store and access all of your documents in one place from any of your devices
  • Keep files and folders up to date across all your devices
  • Create new files and folders from iCloud-enabled apps
  • Work on the same file across multiple apps

When should I upgrade to iCloud Drive?

You can upgrade to iCloud Drive after you update your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to iOS 8, or your Mac to OS X Yosemite. If you use iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote), find out what to expect when you upgrade.

What do I need to use iCloud Drive?

Make sure you have iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite on all of your devices. Here are the requirements:

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8
  • Mac with OS X Yosemite
  • PC with Windows 7 or later and iCloud for Windows
  • Safari 6 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later
  • An active Internet connection

After you update to iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite, also update your iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) to the latest versions. Learn more about using iWork with iCloud Drive.

How do I start using iCloud Drive?

If you currently use iCloud, update all of your devices to the required OS (see above). In iOS 8, go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Upgrade to iCloud Drive. On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, sign in with your Apple ID, then select iCloud Drive.

Any documents that you've already stored in iCloud are automatically moved to iCloud Drive when you upgrade.

You can also upgrade at iCloud.com:

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Select Pages, Numbers, or Keynote. You'll be asked if you want to upgrade to iCloud Drive.
  3. Click Upgrade to iCloud Drive.

Remember to set up iCloud Drive on all of your devices.

After I upgrade to iCloud Drive, can I downgrade and go back to using Documents in the Cloud?

No, after you upgrade to iCloud Drive, you can't go back to using Documents in the Cloud. You can turn off iCloud Drive in iOS 8 by going to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. You can turn off iCloud Drive on your Mac by going to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud and deselecting iCloud Drive. If you turn off iCloud Drive, your documents and data will no longer be kept up to date across all of your devices.

What if I already upgraded to iCloud Drive but still have devices with iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks?

You won't be able to use iCloud Drive on these devices until you update to iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite. If you already upgraded your account and need to use a device that doesn't support iCloud Drive, you can still work on your documents locally, but they won't be kept up to date with documents on your devices with iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite, or on iCloud.com.

What types of files can I store in iCloud Drive?

You can store any type of file in iCloud Drive, as long as it's less than 15 GB in size and you don't exceed your iCloud storage limit. There's no restriction on file type, so you keep all of your work documents, school projects, presentations, and more up to date across all of your devices. Learn more about managing your iCloud Drive files.

I have Apple apps and third-party apps that use Documents in the Cloud. Will they work with iCloud Drive?

All Apple apps that used Documents in the Cloud now use iCloud Drive, and your third-party apps will continue to work as usual after you upgrade. To keep documents and data from these apps up to date across devices, make sure you're using iCloud Drive on iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. Learn more about using iWork with iCloud Drive.

How do I access all my files in iCloud Drive?

You can access your files in iCloud Drive any of these ways:

• Using any supported web browser, you can go to iCloud Drive or iWork for iCloud beta at iCloud.com. In iWork for iCloud beta, you can find your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote files.
  • On your Mac with OS X Yosemite, you can go to iCloud Drive in Finder.
  • On your PC with Windows 7 or later and iCloud for Windows, you can go to iCloud Drive in File Explorer.
  • On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8, you can access your files from Apple apps like Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, or any apps that support iCloud Drive.

How much storage do I have in iCloud Drive and how do I get more?

When you sign up for iCloud, you get 5 GB of free storage. Your iCloud storage is used for iCloud Backup, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library beta, iCloud Mail (your @icloud.com email account), and data from apps that use iCloud. Your purchased music, apps, books, TV shows, and My Photo Stream don't count against your 5 GB of free storage.

You can manage your iCloud storage or buy more storage using your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.

Get help

Get help finding and editing documents, or opening and saving your files.

Last Modified:

Get help using iCloud Drive - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203052

I’m editing a document now. When will my changes upload to iCloud?

Depends on the app. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote upload files to iCloud regularly to make sure you don’t lose any changes. Other apps upload your files to iCloud only after you save them to the iCloud Drive folder. To see your saved files on a Mac, go to Finder > iCloud Drive. To see your saved files on a PC with iCloud for Windows 4.0 installed, go to File Explorer > iCloud Drive.

If you still don't see the latest changes or you see an "in-progress change" icon or the iCloud Drive icon in the notification area (system tray), try to save a new document to the iCloud Drive folder. Then check the iCloud Drive folder to see if the changes appear.

Cheers,

Judy

Not syncing documents to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.