Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roaming disabled bug on 4G and LTE

I have an iPhone 6 and my phone operator (TIM Italy) billed me 7 times for connections I made abroad. The data transfer was minimal, just a couple of MBs in total, but the bill was high as I pay a fixed price for each connection done abroad, regardless of the data transfer amount (until a certain cap is reached).

I have the roaming option disabled on my iPhone so I didn't expect any data transfer to occur.

I tried to fill a claim to get the money back, but my operation replied saying that they have proof that connection happened and they are saying it is a pretty common case with iPhone 6 and 4G/LTE networks. They are saying the software roaming lock works well for EDGE and 3G, but for 4G/LTE it sometimes allows some data to be transferred, thus the billing occurs as they can't distinguish voluntary from involuntary data transfers.

My operator is suggesting disabling 4G/LTE to avoid running in the same issue again, but it is not an acceptable solution to me as I live on the borders between Switzerland and Italy and I often fall by chance under Swiss network coverage so either I disable 4G forever or I have to accept with those very high bills.

Is Apple aware of this bug? If this is a software bug can I ask Apple to refund my bills?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 2:52 AM

4 replies

Feb 3, 2015 8:25 AM in response to Stereodark

Stereodark

I see that your Question has languished for some period of time without response. You have posted your issue in Using Apple Support Communities whose topic is 'How to use this forum software's interface, features and/or how to find what you wish'. It is a relatively low traffic and inappropriate forum for your problem. I will ask our Hosts to move it to " Using iPhone " where it may get a more rapid response from your fellow users.

I must say, that your situation (on the border) may be insurmountable with the recommended workaround.

In answer to your Questions...

If TIM Italy is "...saying the software roaming lock works well for EDGE and 3G, but for 4G/LTE it sometimes allows some data to be transferred,...", then this seems like it must be what we refer to as a "known issue". Apple seldom (if ever) uses the term "bug", no do they often offer workarounds (as the issue is likely unaddressable by the user with a "Setting" or such).

As for the refund? ? ? ?

You don't state that you have spoken with Apple at all (?) see the center column > http://www.apple.com/it/contact/

best luck & we await any updates

ÇÇÇ

Mar 4, 2015 1:19 AM in response to davmart

Unfortunately I didn't, I just decided to switch SIM cards and use my Android phone for the TIM card and my iPhone for the Swiss SIM card and I didn't run into other issues. It seems like that the Android roaming block works in a way that unwanted traffic is not generated at all, while my Swiss phone company (Orange) is more forgiving when it comes down to unwanted traffic (like a few Kb)

Mar 4, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Stereodark

This is not my area of expertise, but I ran into something similar which may have had the same cause: this was while I had an iPhone 6 for less than 2 days (I returned it). I am in the US, so there was no roaming and I wasn't traveling, but I questioned my cell provider why I had constant/many connections interspersed throughout that one day while a) being at home and b) not using the phone. I was told that it was normal for this smart phone to "phone home" at certain intervals to check on updates, etc. It's a long shot, but that might explain the traffic on yours.

Roaming disabled bug on 4G and LTE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.