Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest iOS 8.1.3 battery life

Just updated to the latest iOS on my iPad2. Battery life has dropped considerably per hour. What use to be approx. 6 to10% now has jumped up to almost 20%/hr.

i have gone through Controls to eliminate power to apps. Anyone experiencing the same?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 6:22 AM

36 replies

Feb 3, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Rhythm 'n' Blue

Yep. This latest software update made it even worse than the last one. I barely make it 3 hours before I'm frantically searching for a freaking plug. I have all apps closed, bluetooth off, wifi on, notifications off, etc, etc. Kinda' defeats the purpose of the **** phone if you can't use the features. Oh, and my brand-new, overpriced, cheap Apple charging cable is "Not Supported by this device". Going back to Android. Hate this boring, featureless phone.

Feb 3, 2015 12:24 PM in response to Rhythm 'n' Blue

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPad and charge overnight. Do NOT use an iPod/iPhone charger. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Feb 3, 2015 12:32 PM in response to nitewish

Also look in the notification settings. Not just in the notification center, but also in the settings, then scroll down to the apps themselves in the settings to explore the notification and privacy settings for each app. Often a ton of notifications are defaulted to on that you may not need. Turning them off can help iwth your battery life.

Also shut down apps you're not using. Double tap the home button. Flick the previews for any apps you dont need up and off the screen to close the app. Stuff running in the background can affect your battery.

Feb 4, 2015 1:10 PM in response to 420noscope

I have a better idea: after fully recharged, just turn it off. After two days, turn it on and battery will still be at 100%.

I mean, yes, I'm sarcastic: what kind of advice is "to solve battery problems, lower the brightness or turn off wifi or whatnot". If before the update I didn't have to, I shouldn't have to now. Else, the bug is still there!

Feb 5, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Rhythm 'n' Blue

I Have weird battery behavior in an iPhone 5s since IOS 8 too, and it seems to get worst at each new patch. Battery drops very fast from 80% after 4 hours to 30 % after 8 hours. Around 16% percent (12 hours) the iPhone shuts down And won't restart unless I put some one minute power at it, then opens with 16 % then shuts down . Doing the procedure 5 or 6 times and then 1% .... wait for it to shutdown by itself, then put it with power and in 5 minutes ... 14%!

I wiped and restored the iPhone 2 times, did all the "usual" manipulations (reset network, reduce screen intensity, ...) nothing makes it better!

I Had no problem with IOS 7!

I am totally disconfident in Apple being able to fix it ....

Feb 9, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Rhythm 'n' Blue

I have just updated my Ipad air 2 and iphone 4s to ios 8.1.3. Iphone is draining 20-25% an hour after fully charged with original charger overnight. Ipad is draining about 10-20% an hour. Another 5% while writing this. Have turned off Bluetooth, GPS, and WIFI with no luck. Just had a 2 hour flight to Brussels and battery drains dramatically even in flight mode. This is a disaster. Apple should consider to recall this update.

Feb 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Rhythm 'n' Blue

I have just updated my Ipad air 2 and iphone 4s to ios 8.1.3. Iphone is draining 20-25% an hour after fully charged with original charger overnight. Ipad is draining about 10-20% an hour. Another 5% while writing this. Have turned off Bluetooth, GPS, and WIFI with no luck. Just had a 2 hour flight to Brussels and battery drains dramatically even in flight mode. This is a disaster. Apple should consider to recall this update.

Latest iOS 8.1.3 battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.